Discuss Testing Rcd in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
(prob a stupid question this) If i am testing an rcd via the plug in test on the sockets from my instrument is it still necessary to test the rcd via each individual circuit i.e. lighting, shower etc thanks for your response in advance.

No.........

Then what are you doing then, because it sounds very much like that's exactly what you're doing??

You only need to conduct the RCD testing procedure ''once'' for each RCD, And that should be conducted at the RCD terminals, ...NOT multiple times for each circuit!! By the time you've finished you'll be getting all sorts of values, and it sure isn't going to be doing the RCD's any good either!!

Great forum this not been on for a while this was raised in a conversation the other day with someone and there argument was why is there a check box next to each circuit so I'm right in thinking you just put 1 and 5 times results in once and although not necessary the socket test would suffice

Great forum this not been on for a while this was raised in a conversation the other day with someone and there argument was why is there a check box next to each circuit so I'm right in thinking you just put 1 and 5 times results in once and although not necessary the socket test would suffice

Just the one full procedure for each RCD....AT THE RCD TERMINALS!! Those check boxes come in very handy for RCBO's, otherwise just use the same values gained for each circuit.

Socket RCD testing can give you false mA values, remember you're not testing the circuit you're testing the RCD device..... ELI and IR tests should have already been conducted, so why would you want to test from a socket?? Almost ALL RCD manufactures recommend testing at the devices terminals where test results are going to be used for official records, eg EIC, EICR'S etc...

The "danger" with doing that is that could be interpreted that only a single circuit is covered by the RCD.

I've done a CU change today - 10 way board, 4 circuits one side, 3 the other - I test each RCD and enter the results for the circuits "covered" for each.

If you were adding a new circuit, then results for the single circuit would be in order.

I guess it depends on the scope of the work you've been doing!

Just saying.

The "danger" with doing that is that could be interpreted that only a single circuit is covered by the RCD.

I've done a CU change today - 10 way board, 4 circuits one side, 3 the other - I test each RCD and enter the results for the circuits "covered" for each.

If you were adding a new circuit, then results for the single circuit would be in order.

I guess it depends on the scope of the work you've been doing!

Just saying.

In this case I put the 'RCD MODULE' down on the sheet for circuit details/test results So it is clear that circuits 1-5 are protected by this RCD and then again put 'RCD MODULE' and below put circuits 6-10.

they have them because they could be fed by rcbo's

Just the one full procedure for each RCD....AT THE RCD TERMINALS!! Those check boxes come in very handy for RCBO's, otherwise just use the same values gained for each circuit.

Socket RCD testing can give you false mA values, remember you're not testing the circuit you're testing the RCD device..... ELI and IR tests should have already been conducted, so why would you want to test from a socket?? Almost ALL RCD manufactures recommend testing at the devices terminals where test results are going to be used for official records, eg EIC, EICR'S etc...
Eaton RCBO Pod being a good example of test anywhere BUT at the terminals... lol

Actually it states, Tests are made on the load side of the RCD between the line conductor of the protected circuit and the associated cpc. Any load or appliances should be disconnected prior to testing.
so you can test at a socket outlet providing you have all appliances or any loads disconnected.

Also when at the consumer unit for the test that you have described above do you turn off the circuit breakers next to the RCD & disconnect nuetral or do you just turn circuit breaker off, because if you don't take out the nuetral you have not disconnected the load side completely.
we also had an RCD unit that if you tested at the terminals it would not test properly but when at a socket outlet it would I will speak with my colleague & let u know what make it was.

Eaton RCBO Pod being a good example of test anywhere BUT at the terminals... lol

There are one or two types of RCBO pods that require a short length of conductor (say 6'' or so) to be connected to the device, think one of them is the MEM pods, but the vast majority you'd conduct RCD tests at the device terminals....

There are one or two types of RCBO pods that require a short length of conductor (say 6'' or so) to be connected to the device, think one of them is the MEM pods, but the vast majority you'd conduct RCD tests at the device terminals....

What's this 'Pod'? Is it some new technical term?

Reply to Testing Rcd in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net