Discuss Thank You Mr. Wetpants, You Inconsiderate Imbecile in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Since the property is about to be rented-out a satisfactory EICR will ultimately be required. So either the boiler will have to be repositioned, or a consumer unit upgrade will be needed. I reckon the latter course of action would be the cheaper option. I'll hang fire until after the customer has spoken with her solicitor and take it from there.

I didn't look at the installation prior to agreeing to carry-out an EICR as I have a fixed-tariff for doing EICRs. I charge by the number of rooms and outbuildings there are rather than by the circuit. Ergo there is no need for me to arrange a site visit prior to carrying-out an EICR.

as far as I'm aware there is no requirement for a property to have a satisfactory EICR . Desirable yes, legal requirement no.

No doubt the plumber will say 'the boiler was there first like the usual intelligent plumbers

He would expose himself as a bare-faced liar if he were to do so as it is very easily proven that the boiler was originally located in the kitchen when the house built (1979), but was subsequently moved to the under stair cupboard when the kitchen was refurbished three years ago.

I was only jo

He would expose himself as a bare-faced liar if he were to do so as it is very easily proven that the boiler was originally located in the kitchen when the house built (1979), but was subsequently moved to the under stair cupboard when the kitchen was refurbished three years ago.
I was only joking! If he did lie it's be funny

May not be the case here, but it does surprise me the number of folks who will do something that is obviously wrong "cause the boss said so" or some such.

Tight wad landlords , (and fartherless-lies )
The rules are for safety .... common sense would have gone out of the window ..but there must not be an openable one too nearby a boiler !

I've seen some really bad plumbing installations over the years, but this one really takes the biscuit. I went to do an EICR yesterday afternoon, but had to abandon the job as I was unable to gain access to the main switch, or even remove the cover from the board. Completely unacceptable. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

View attachment 40751

View attachment 40752

I'm wondering if any gas regulations have been breached here. I'm also wondering if wetpants has to issue a certificate when he does boiler installations. The homeowner says she wasn't given a certificate for the work. She is hopping mad and will be speaking with her solicitor first thing tomorrow.
A bodge it and scarper job by the looks of things, makes you wonder what the customer thought about blocking off the CU, wasn't a council job or a rental house was it?

that wet-pants has the brain capacity of an amoeba. get the customer to get him back and pay for a plumber with a brain to relocate.

Do you think that the Electrical side looks pro?
Looking at that SWA cable, the missing blank, the cable to (or from, who knows) the SFS, I would say it all looks a bit DIY to me not just the Boiler install with its spaghetti plastic pipe work.

Last edited:
Looking at that SWA cable, the missing blank, the cable to (or from, who knows) the SFS, I would say it all looks a bit DIY to me not just the Boiler install with its spaghetti plastic pipe work.
Agree about the electrics but it's not as mind numbing and idiotic as the boiler install, the plumber did he hurt his fingers as he dragged them across the floor on his way in?

Not taking sides here, but the CU will be about 17+ years old and the boiler is recent ........

I would certainly hope, that if the boiler is moved, and the CU replaced, a new CU would be installed to a higher standard!

The scary thing is that there are people out there this thick doing work in people's homes! I was going to suggest maybe an IQ test as a competence qualification for all installation engineers. But this does not prove a person has any common sense!
There is only one expression to describe this install - BRAIN DEAD!

The scary thing is that there are people out there this thick doing work in people's homes! I was going to suggest maybe an IQ test as a competence qualification for all installation engineers. But this does not prove a person has any common sense!
There is only one expression to describe this install - BRAIN DEAD!
By the looks of that install David, the geyser had no brain.

I can confirm EICR is compulsory in Scotland for rental properties, as of course is the stupid EPC, but that's another story, along the lines of the PAT certificates which are also compulsory.
I just can't get my head round why the plumber in this case went ahead, knowing what he was doing was stupid. Would he have fitted the boiler over the doorway, so once it was in he couldn't get out?
It's a total lack of responsibility, or just plain stupid...and neither of those "attributes" should be present in someone installing gas appliances or electrics where there is risk to life.
I am reminded of the shocking examples of those new schools where walls fell down due to a lack of ties in the brickwork. The brickie says to the gaffer, why no ties? The gaffer says to the foreman, why no ties? He says, not on the drawings mate...just get on with it, the school's due to open next week...and the Building Control bloke says nothing...IMHO, the brickies should have refused to work, but...well, that's not how it works these days. If you leave a job, happy that all is done to a good standard, then if it is a good job you will have no concerns, and can answer any scrutiny...somehow, the plumber in this instance either doesn't know how bodged that is, or doesn't care...
quite depressing really.

I agree thats really messed up.
even across the pond here you can put a panel in a cabinet as long as its accessible but installing equipment in front and as close to it is a quick way for an inspector of fire marshal to have the service shut off

I agree thats really messed up.
even across the pond here you can put a panel in a cabinet as long as its accessible but installing equipment in front and as close to it is a quick way for an inspector of fire marshal to have the service shut off
not the same over this side. any inspector saw that bodge there'd have to be a committee meeting lasting for 6 months, then it would be passed to an arbitrator, then to another committee, finally someone would make a decision.

Reply to Thank You Mr. Wetpants, You Inconsiderate Imbecile in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net