Discuss The 'Electric gate' scam in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks but our system is for convenience not security and I've spent enough already. :-(

Absolutely. I think you've spent far too much already - I would be escalating things with the installer, and also speaking to the manufacturer of the control module.

I remember our gate at the prison was always troublesome.
This was for traffic and was the length of a road width… so sensed traffic going both ways.

Wasn’t for security… it just slowed traffic down enough so that we could read number plates off cctv but missed the prisoners going out.
So was you in the watch tower at the time.

I am wondering if you have a case for complaint against the installer.

They have provided a system that is not suitable for the environment it is installed in.
Keep a good record of all service call outs and what they say they have fixed.
if you have several "reset controller after power cut " then i would be pushing for it not being suitable for future use as it is unable to deal with something that is likely to happen regularly.
Dear James and everyone else,
Having today had a truthful account of my efforts to find a DIY solution to my problem censored by a robot I have decided to withdraw from this thread as I'm 82 in a few days and can do without Big Brothers everywhere these days. My solution to the problem is to remove the striker plate and fit a £5 manual hook and ring leaving us with a powered swinging gate that can be latched when required and two fingers to the industry and robotic censors.
Goodbye and thank you all for your advice.
Last words! :- it seems the robotic censor has been over-ruled and my reply re-instated!

Last edited:
Dear James and everyone else,
Having today had a truthful account of my efforts to find a DIY solution to my problem censored by a robot I have decided to withdraw from this thread as I'm 82 in a few days and can do without Big Brothers everywhere these days. My solution to the problem is to remove the striker plate and fit a £5 manual hook and ring leaving us with a powered swinging gate that can be latched when required and two fingers to the industry and robotic censors.
Goodbye and thank you all for your advice.
Nothing has been censored or edited on here

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Maybe you could suggest how I can spell it out to you? Here is another try. My reply to DPG's post with a link to the ThaliaP user manual appeared for most of today with a robotic note saying that only I could see it because it was under 'moderation' or words to that effect. The email was not immoderate nor anti-wokish imho which is why, presumably, it was re-instated this evening.
Hopefully, you now have a better idea what I'm talking about?

Maybe you could suggest how I can spell it out to you? Here is another try. My reply to DPG's post with a link to the ThaliaP user manual appeared for most of today with a robotic note saying that only I could see it because it was under 'moderation' or words to that effect. The email was not immoderate nor anti-wokish imho which is why, presumably, it was re-instated this evening.

You are blowing things wildly out of proportion! A link was not shown on the forum for some reason that's all. If you want to give up on things just because of that then that's up to you, but it's a bad case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Having said that, I hope you can get it sorted. I don't like to see people being ripped off.

One of your posts went through moderation just after midday. None of your posts have been edited.

Never suggested they had been edited and still wondering wth I said that sucked in moderation in the first place. Please enlighten me?
It happens even long standing members have a post dropped into moderation. I approved this thread initially and not all subsequent posts of yours went through moderation it is nothing sinister.

@meditek ,

As a new user, it's more than usual for the forum software (as configured by the site owner) will put your post through moderation if it contains a link. It's not uncommon for a spammer to sign up, make a few posts and then start spamming links. This approach stops that kind of thing happening.

It happens to all new users and is nothing personal. It's just a fairly standard forum policy these days and unfortunately you have a small vocal minority (the spammers) to thank for it.

You are blowing things wildly out of proportion! A link was not shown on the forum for some reason that's all. If you want to give up on things just because of that then that's up to you, but it's a bad case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Having said that, I hope you can get it sorted. I don't like to see people being ripped off.
Wait till you're my age and see how much time you're willing to devote nauseous business and IT practices. Is there a company in this country who is not too busy to answer your call right now etc etc
'A link was not shown on the forum for some reason that's all' eh? My reply to your post was blocked by a bot! We live in the UK not China.

Wait till you're my age and see how much time you're willing to devote nauseous business and IT practices. Is there a company in this country who is too busy to answer your call right now etc etc
'A link was not shown on the forum for some reason that's all' eh? My reply to your post was blocked by a bot! We live in the UK not China.

Blimy what an extreme attitude! It's a standard method to protect the site and its members from spammers.

Perhaps stick to paper and pencil to avoid risk of any stress.

Wait till you're my age and see how much time you're willing to devote nauseous business and IT practices. Is there a company in this country who is not too busy to answer your call right now etc etc
If you want this thread to continue then get back to the original topic or I will close it.

It is unfortunate that the site "delayed" your post because it had a link in it or for any other reason.

please bear in mind though that most of the people who are trying to help you solve the problem are practicing electricians working in many fields.

by far the majority of us are spending some of our free time trying to help others with no financial gain.
we could of course just offer to come fix it, my rate is xx for call out and --- per hour thereafter. but in general we are a friendly bunch who enjoy helping others sort out problems that may be over and above the posters (your) experience and knowledge.

please don't think that big brother is watching or controlling us, we are Simpley giving a little back to the community.

Kind regards, James

Willing to bet there is something that hasn't been revealed by the OP as to why they are being charged the call out fee on these occasions. Seems quick enough to go to a DIY alteration.

Reply to The 'Electric gate' scam in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net