Discuss The fuse is off! It’s making me use 20 characters to post this in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kbhelp

-
Reaction score
I’ve got an light fitting for under cupboard of a kitchen it has come with two wires connected, one being blue and the other brown. Now under my cupboard I have blue, yellow/green, and brown, perhaps commons sense but do I connect the blue wires together as well as the brown? (Fuse is fully off)

Thanks

I’ve got an light fitting for under cupboard of a kitchen it has come with two wires connected, one being blue and the other brown. Now under my cupboard I have blue, yellow/green, and brown, perhaps commons sense but do I connect the blue wires together as well as the brown? (Fuse is fully off)

Thanks
The problem with switching the Circuit breaker OFF is you are only isolating the live not the Neutral, which could become live if there is a fault, to isolate properly you need to isolate both L and N it's called safe isolation, I wont tell you how to do this as I don't agree with instructing untrained people, it's dangerous and could be fatal, get an electrician in to put your light up, you wouldn't flaff around with a gas appliance, why do it with electricity, you can smell gas, you can't smell electricity, you only know it's there when something works, or you are on the end of a live wire, and believe me it's painful and most of the time fatal.

Thanks

I mean this with no disrespect to yourself but if you are questioning the colour of wiring when attempting to do a simple task it is evident that you have no training in this area and you should employ a qualified electrician who will do the job correctly and safely; like Pete said, electricity can be fatal and you'd be putting your self and your family at risk if you were to get things wrong

I mean this with no disrespect to yourself but if you are questioning the colour of wiring when attempting to do a simple task it is evident that you have no training in this area and you should employ a qualified electrician who will do the job correctly and safely; like Pete said, electricity can be fatal and you'd be putting your self and your family at risk if you were to get things wrong
he should have thought about that
before he decided to turn off the MCB or pull the fuse.

So you don’t check the circuit is actually dead after (as per safe isolation procedure) then?

Pete is right, turning my off the circuit is the START of the process.

@Pete999 I don't agree with you on your safe isolation procedure...I (as most will) regularly work with just the fuse pulled or the circuit breaker locked off. In most instances to isolate L&N will either mean locking off the RCD or the Main Switch.

Without test equipment you can not tell whether the neutral isn’t going to zap you. The op has no test equipment..........

That’s the way I’m reading it anyhoo.

Its only 2 wires,the combinations for getting it wrong involved are very low,:eek:do you feel lucky kbhelp, well do you.:)
You assume the person who installed the first cable used the right conductors to begin with! the only thing i was ever told to assume in this industry is the customer always assumes you are trying to over charge them and that everything should be considered dangerous until proven otherwise

Not on modern ES fittings it isn't.

Isn't it..I shall take your word for that Westy as you know your stuff. Will have a close look at the next ES fitting I get also. Is it because it is a plastic threaded section with the metal contact being lower down the thread? Just curious.

Isn't it..I shall take your word for that Westy as you know your stuff. Will have a close look at the next ES fitting I get also. Is it because it is a plastic threaded section with the metal contact being lower down the thread? Just curious.
Modern ES lamp holders should be constructed the EN60238 where both line and neutral are at the bottom of the holder and requires the lamp to be fully screwed home to make contact. The outer part of the lamp should be protected by the construction of the holder and cannot be accessed while it is in contact with these live terminals.

And @NDG Elecs i must point out that the use of the phrase paramount importance is like saying important importance. One correctly uses important or paramount! Lesson over unless you are talking Sahara desert where the word Sahara means desert so you'd be saying desert desert - shoot me now, I've turned into my father!

Reply to The fuse is off! It’s making me use 20 characters to post this in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net