Discuss The holy grail of BS7671 amendment 3 plastic vs metal c/u's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

baldsparkies

Consumer units compliant with amendment 3 have to pass some kind of glow test to BSEN61439-3

I like many have seen and read information suggesting that all domestic consumer units will shortly need to be installed constructed of steel rather than plastic as a result of this new wonder ruling.

It would appear that this is not the case.
And looks like another red herring that comes to light every time those bored people sitting around a table want to create some extra cash.

Once again its down to us sparks to try and pick the wood from the trees, so I thought this link might help clear some of the only metal clad rumours.

http://www.doepke.co.uk/catalogue/Cat-pdf/conunits.pdf

Any changes don't come into force until 1st Jan '16 so I'm not even bothering about it at the moment.

I'm sure that well before that time comes, C.U's will come with a sticker on saying they are compliant with Amend 3 so no-one will be in any doubt as to whether they comply.

I can't see manufacturers bothering to produce one CU that complies and another that doesn't unless it's fitted in a suitable compartment.

From other threads commented on by netblindpaul who seems to be somewhat of an expert in this area it seems the new compliant cu's will indeed be metal from Jan 16.

I also did a CU change yesterday, and because of the location - main lounge, very visible - I had to use a smart shiny white plastic type with no labels or anything else visible with the lid closed. If I'd had to use metal, not sure I could have found one to the customers liking.

I did a CU change yesterday and IF all the cable entries had to be fire resistent, I wouldn't have quoted for the job, let alone done it!

Aye it's gone a bit silly. Good tight connections and properly designed circuits and GOOD quality materials and there should never have been a problem .
I'm not going to mention "Good Workmanship " lol.

Last edited:
The schemes and IET need to push back on this and:

1. Include smoke alarms in BS 7671

2. Mandate that interlinked smoke alarms must be fitted on all refurdishments, rewires and new builds

3. Mandate that when the CU change is made that interlinked smoke alarms be fitted in the home AND in the location of the CU - i.e. in a cupboard

4. Then plastic CU's can remain.

But they won't, because the schemes are spinless.

Anyone doing EICRs can have a 300mmx300mm stickers made in red and Danger on them for the entrance door to the property , should generate some work . LOL..

Looks like fire retardant and ABS materials will be o/k , but I assume the unit would have a label attached to state its conformity...

I think the knock outs will be something to consider and you would have to use deeper trunking against the board like Mid 50 (2x2inch)...

Looks like fire retardant and ABS materials will be o/k , but I assume the unit would have a label attached to state its conformity...
ARRRGH. another bloody sticker to be stuck on crooked. CUs will need to be twice the size, just to accomodate these bloody labels.

I haven't actually got a copy of the newly printed BYB in my hand so cannot actually comment on what it has to say, but the requirements regarding metal and/or non-combustible DBs have changed back and forth a million times!

'IF' the BYB says that DBs in a domestic need to comply with 61439-3 and it's requirement for non-combustible units to be 960 degree glow wire tested, then all is well, we will still be able to use plastic DBs as by January 2016, no reputable wholesaler will be selling plastic DBs that aren't 960 degree glow wire tested.

'IF' it doesn't, using one anyway is a very easily justified departure from the regulations. Just record it as such with a documented risk assessment and Robert's yer fathers brother. "I didn't use a metal DB because A. My customer asked me not to, and B. Because my risk assessment shows that having used the correct tools to ensure my connections are sound and tightened to the correct torque, there is just as much risk of this DB going up in flames as there is of a metal one FILLED with plastic components going up in flames"...

Simples.

Edit: Remember people, if the requirement is that we 'have' to use metal DBs in domestic installations, this will be the FIRST set of/amendment to UK electrical regulations that makes a distinction between requirements for domestic and non-domestic premises. Who do we have to thank for this? Yep, you guessed it, the scams! Their involvement with the IET has now ensured that their agenda is being enshrined in regulation! Unless we stick two fingers up to this nonsense it will only continue to get worse!

Last edited:
Its a cash cow all around, no matter how you look at it.
The comments regarding connections and proper workmanship are very valid.
If these are not provided throughout any domestic install then risk of fire can be generated any where within the property regardless of what bloody consumer unit you fit plastic of metal.

Reply to The holy grail of BS7671 amendment 3 plastic vs metal c/u's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net