Discuss The ins and outs of part p in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

what confuses me is this:

a non-scam member needs to pat labc ÂŁ300 if he's replacing a CU. but if he's doing major works on a new build or an extension which itself is subject to building control, the as long as labc accept that he's competent, just give them a copy of the EIC. Crazy.

Part P is a building regulation covering domestic electrical work. To meet the obligations of part P, all work needs to conform to BS7671. You are also required to notify some electrical works (e.g. new circuits/work in special locations and some other work) to building control before you start the work. This then needs to be inspected and signed of by building control.

If you are a member of one of the electrical governing bodies that allows you to self notify (and have the relevant qualifications), you do not have to involve building control directly. You can notify them via this scheme once the work is complete (for a much lower fee).

All work needs to meet the requirements of BS7671, and initial varification and testing of all new work should be carried out and recorded on the relevant certificate, even if it doesn't need to be notified to building control.

Despite what many believe, you cannot be qualified to Part P, but many courses supposedly give you suitable qualifications to carry out domestic work and ensure you meet the obligations of Part P.
There is no requirement in Part P for the work to meet the requirements of BS7671.

There is no requirement in Part P for the work to meet the requirements of BS7671.

From Aproved document P 2013 edition:

"Section 1: Design and installation
General
1.1 Electrical installations should be designed and installed in accordance with BS 7671:2008
incorporating Amendment No 1:2011."

From Aproved document P 2013 edition:

"Section 1: Design and installation
General
1.1 Electrical installations should be designed and installed in accordance with BS 7671:2008
incorporating Amendment No 1:2011."
good to see that at least one of us is paying attention

good to see that at least one of us is paying attention
Note that the Approved Document provides GUIDANCE on how the Statutory Instrument (P1) can be complied with.
One doesn’t have to follow what is in the Approved Documents but LABC consider the Approved Documents to be the only way.
I find that arguing with LABC is counter-productive.

Anyone can do the C&G 2393, yes; it is a 'qualification' in the introduction to what part P is all about, and is intended for people who might come across electricity but don't work with it as their primary trade, such as handymen, caretakers or plumbers.

The most cost effective way of notifying jobs is to "be part P" which involves joining a "competent persons' scheme" such as Stroma, but you don't necessarily have to have the 2393 to be able to join one.

A builder once told me that PAT testing (ISI&TEE) is a farce because anyone can walk into a wholesalers and buy a roll of stickers. The idea that the sticker was just to show the appliance had been checked seemed to pass him by.

Similarly there are training centres that will let you do the 2382 with no other qualifications, so anyone off the street can "be part P and 17th edition" within a matter of days after doing 2 online multiple choice tests on books which you take in with you for reference, with no other training and no practical experience whatsoever; does this sound right?

My local college wouldn't let you do a regs course without a technical certificate or similar, and IMO this is a good model for policing and standardising qualifications, if only every college did it.
There needs to be better differentiation between part P of the building regulations, the C&G 2393, and competent persons' schemes.

psQUOTE="Adam W, post: 1359603, member: 788"]Anyone can do the C&G 2393, yes; it is a 'qualification' in the introduction to what part P is all about, and is intended for people who might come across electricity but don't work with it as their primary trade, such as handymen, caretakers or plumbers.

The most cost effective way of notifying jobs is to "be part P" which involves joining a "competent persons' scheme" such as Stroma, but you don't necessarily have to have the 2393 to be able to join one.

A builder once told me that PAT testing (ISI&TEE) is a farce because anyone can walk into a wholesalers and buy a roll of stickers. The idea that the sticker was just to show the appliance had been checked seemed to pass him by.

Similarly there are training centres that will let you do the 2382 with no other qualifications, so anyone off the street can "be part P and 17th edition" within a matter of days after doing 2 online multiple choice tests on books which you take in with you for reference, with no other training and no practical experience whatsoever; does this sound right?

My local college wouldn't let you do a regs course without a technical certificate or similar, and IMO this is a good model for policing and standardising qualifications, if only every college did it.
There needs to be better differentiation between part P of the building regulations, the C&G 2393, and competent persons' schemes.
[/QUOTE]
There needs to be complete rethink of the whole debacle that is Part P and it's pseudo qualification.

Anyone can do the C&G 2393, yes; it is a 'qualification' in the introduction to what part P is all about, and is intended for people who might come across electricity but don't work with it as their primary trade, such as handymen, caretakers or plumbers.

Well put Adam.

Part P is basically just a list of what electrical work needs notification to BC and how to notify. Its nothing to do with the actual work. You could throw together a real lash up of a job and not fall foul of Part P.

Anyone working on buildings should be paying far more attention to the whole of building regs as that is where most mistakes are made. Ie.

Part A Structure, what's load bearing and what isn't. Where can i drill a hole in a joist, how big, how often. Etc.

Part B Fire safety, what's a fire compartment? Could I compromise it, how should I make it good. Fire alarm selection, position and operation. Etc.

Part E Resistance to the passage of sound. Again drilling holes for cables, downlighers etc. will I compromise it.

Part F ventilation. Extractor fans and cooker hoods etc.

Part G Hot water safety. Emersion heaters etc.

Part J Combustion appliances.

Part L conservation of fuel and power. Heating controls etc. (Amendment due April 2018, requirement for smart control. google "boiler plus 18".

Part R electronic communication network.

And regulation 7 Quality of workmanship and materials.

I'm not aware of the syllabus for the C&G 2382 but if it covers all of the B regs then fair enough, if it's only part P then, as had already been said, its a farse and a golden goose for the training providers.

Taken from C&G qualifications handbook.

2393-10 Part P course.

The primary aim of this knowledge based level 3 qualification is to enable practising electricians, operating in the domestic environment, to gain an understanding of how electrical installations in dwellings must comply with all relevant Building Regulations.

This qualification does not deal with how to meet the technical electrical requirements when carrying out such work. This would be covered by the City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in the
requirements for electrical installations (BS 7671 2008) (2382-10).

It is suitable for those working in the building trades and others who require a working knowledge of
how electrical installations in dwellings can affect the building construction.

Devonchris if what you have posted is correct I have no problem with that, however, when other trades and others attend this course and afterwards think that they are (domestic) electricians is what I disagree with eg the phase Electrical Trainee.

Reply to The ins and outs of part p in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net