• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss The latest MFT Meggers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sevuk

-
Reaction score
I've just bought an MFT 1711, based on the fact I'm going to be doing mostly single phase work for now. Although some work will be on very basic 3 phase installations.

I'm a bit baffled as although the other units have some good extra features for a wide range of installations, why couldn't an MFT 1711 completely test the entirety of a very basic 3 phase installation.

I've been off testing a while as I've been doing commissioning, and I'm about to go do 2391 finally. But to me 3 phase testing used to mean testing all the phases individually and then recording the highest. Which I can do with the MFT 1711.

What makes all the other testers 3 phase and this one not?

I expect they do phase rotation, the one you have will carry out all required tests the same as the others but probably not the phase rotation.

As you can see from the comparison chart the 1711 can not do:
Insulation Resistance test at 100v
Line to Line
Type B RCD
15mA continuity test
RCD 3 Phase
R1+R2 calculation
Earth test (2/3 pole, art, stakeless)
Not rechargeable
Downloadable memory

Thanks for the responses. That video guy is brilliant, every one he does is brilliant.

Well the 1711 still has as many features as the old robin testers I used to use, a few years ago now.

I've decided to return the 1711 any hire for a 1741. The phase sequence is handy, rather than just checking the rotation with a voltage tester. The main reason for my decision is loop testing. The 41 is supposed to be better at doing the tests without tripping the rcd, which is always annoying, even if you get it after a few tries. I guess this way I'll be ready for anything next year throws at me too.

Anyone tried the bluetooth yet? I'm quite technical but I can see myself not opting to get the software package. Isn't it just as easy to fill in your results on a spreadsheet on one of those netbooks?

Thanks for the responses. That video guy is brilliant, every one he does is brilliant.

Well the 1711 still has as many features as the old robin testers I used to use, a few years ago now.

I've decided to return the 1711 any hire for a 1741. The phase sequence is handy, rather than just checking the rotation with a voltage tester. The main reason for my decision is loop testing. The 41 is supposed to be better at doing the tests without tripping the rcd, which is always annoying, even if you get it after a few tries. I guess this way I'll be ready for anything next year throws at me too.

Anyone tried the bluetooth yet? I'm quite technical but I can see myself not opting to get the software package. Isn't it just as easy to fill in your results on a spreadsheet on one of those netbooks?

Bought one of these 1741's myself a few days ago, mananged to get the Bluetooth paired but the software wouldn't have any of it claiming I don't have the correct license. Will have to speak to megger to find out what's going on, as I was under the impression that the download manager was free, and just the power suite certification software was paid.

I personally think on board storage is pretty good when you get your head round it, I've been using that then copying it from the device onto my laptop.

Bought one of these 1741's myself a few days ago, mananged to get the Bluetooth paired but the software wouldn't have any of it claiming I don't have the correct license. Will have to speak to megger to find out what's going on, as I was under the impression that the download manager was free, and just the power suite certification software was paid.

I thought the software is a chargeable extra, only because the price of a 1731 compare to a "1731 Onsite" is around £100 difference, and the only difference on the chart posted above is the software.

I thought the software is a chargeable extra, only because the price of a 1731 compare to a "1731 Onsite" is around £100 difference, and the only difference on the chart posted above is the software.

To my best knowledge, on site comes with full powersuite and not just download manager like I said, also on site comes with earth electrode testing probes and leads with are not included by standard

Chris really is a legend, im 90% sure it was him who taught me my Part 2 along with Pete Tanner in Worthing back in 1999 -2000.
Whomever it was that taught us came into class one afternoon and told us how he made a citizen's arrest on a guy stealing from a supermarket the day before.
I remember something along the lines of him telling us he didnt really think it through, once he restrained the fella he had to sit on him for a good 15mins while waiting for the police all the while his wife was just standing their holding the shopping bags.

Think I remembered it as it painted a picture and was also something my old man would of done.

If anyone reading, has the chance to be taught by him please ask him if hes ever made a citizens arrest, sure its not something he will forget.

Reply to The latest MFT Meggers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back