• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss The use of plastic wall plugs for the 18th.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Spoon

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was just reading an interesting post about the 18th when the above was mentioned. there seems some debate about this. I initially thought that the idea of prohibiting the use of them was stupid, but I'm not sure now.

View attachment 43259

http://www.swaonline.co.uk/files/ww/Install Protect _ ComplyFull Document.pdf

These walldog screws look like they could strip the hole easily in some cases.
Costly AFDDS and non plastic wall plugs are going to up the prices on any run of the mill Domestic work, in fact any type of work will start to increase price wise.

Costly AFDDS and non plastic wall plugs are going to up the prices on any run of the mill Domestic work, in fact any type of work will start to increase price wise.
I have to agree mate, looks like dodgy Bob down the pub will be making a few more quid as the rest of us are out priced...

Agree with you there mate.

So what's your opinion on the use of plastic wall plugs?

So what's your opinion on the use of plastic wall plugs?
Not sure Spoon, as I don't do much these days it's hardly an issue for me, although I will be asking the very question at ELEX in September at the Richo Stadium.

Plastic rawl plugs are perfectly fine. To think otherwise is nuts.

So the attachment which was taken from the IET report are both incorrect?
Fire performance of cable supports - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/58/fire-performance-of-cable-supports/

Not sure Spoon, as I don't do much these days it's hardly an issue for me, although I will be asking the very question at ELEX in September at the Richo Stadium.

Would like to hear what they say about it.

So the attachment which was taken from the IET report are both incorrect?
Fire performance of cable supports - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/58/fire-performance-of-cable-supports/

That is a really interesting read and it would appear plastic rawl plugs do not comply.

So I have changed my mind.

That is a really interesting read and it would appear plastic rawl plugs do not comply.

So I have changed my mind.
Seems someone with such initial forthright views, has been able to change their minds (no offence meant) makes the issue all the more confusing, would like to hear what the scams have to say on the subject. without all the gobbledygook, just plain and simple for us Sparkles to understand, in black and white, not with shades of grey, and get out clauses, I suppose it's asking to much for a simple explanation.

Seems someone with such initial forthright views, has been able to change their minds (no offence meant) makes the issue all the more confusing, would like to hear what the scams have to say on the subject. without all the gobbledygook, just plain and simple for us Sparkles to understand, in black and white, not with shades of grey, and get out clauses, I suppose it's asking to much for a simple explanation.

Reading the report changed my view as well. I thought that plastic wall plugs would not be overly affected by a house fire, but it seems they are.
That's why I posted up the screen shot and the report for people to see. See what they think about it.

During Fire 1 the metal fold over clips secured by screws with a plastic plug were ok, if I read it correctly. And in the more intense Fire 2 they fell out due to plastic plug failure. The only question I have (so far :) ) - are the Testers saying my house will burn as per Fire 2? (based on?).

Reply to The use of plastic wall plugs for the 18th.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back