Discuss This EICR mess with so called governing bodies in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I normally lurk and get advice and tips when needed. Having been a spark for nigh on 30 years I decided its time to maybe go self employed once again, got 2391 etc etc and have worked for same company 12 years carrying out eicr and remedials installs etc. But according to the NIC not only do I need my part P for notifiable works but this still won't "cover me" to issue eicrs to landlords. Not without paying more money on top of a part p assessment. How am I not a competent person? What doesn't help is large rental companies insisting on nic registered sparks only to carry out condition reports. Yet im jib registered approved electrician but still not competent. To say this is putting me off is an understatement and to see so many government approved bodies waiting to rip the arse out of anything that smells of money is nothing short of criminal.

This is where the CPS do not agree with the regs. According to the Regs you can carry out EICRs, you appear to have experience, and can also demonstrate competence in testing through 2391, so the regs, and GN3 agree that you are "qualified" to provide EICR. You do not need to be a member of any CPS to provide competence.

Some customers (such are your rental company) seem to want membership of a CPS (in your case, only accepting NIC when others are avaliable. This is not was the regulations require. What happens if you join, NAPIT etc and then your customers only accepts NICEIC? At the end of the day, these are money making scheme, and unfortuantly they have brain washed some customers into thinking it is a requirement, when it is not.

I normally lurk and get advice and tips when needed. Having been a spark for nigh on 30 years I decided its time to maybe go self employed once again, got 2391 etc etc and have worked for same company 12 years carrying out eicr and remedials installs etc. But according to the NIC not only do I need my part P for notifiable works but this still won't "cover me" to issue eicrs to landlords. Not without paying more money on top of a part p assessment. How am I not a competent person? What doesn't help is large rental companies insisting on nic registered sparks only to carry out condition reports. Yet im jib registered approved electrician but still not competent. To say this is putting me off is an understatement and to see so many government approved bodies waiting to rip the arse out of anything that smells of money is nothing short of criminal.
Can you explain what 'my part P' is and what is a part p assessment?

Part P is a specific exam on building regs C&G 2393-10. I wonder if you are qualified for domestic only? I have found with NAPIT you have to be level 3 and 2391, and in my case as I was an "Approved" electrician it was accepted as commercial capable so to speak which I think they expect you to be. i.e. if you have only done domestic work/qualifications that may be the stumbling block???? I know it does not make sense how they operate but don't shoot the messenger!

Reply to This EICR mess with so called governing bodies in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net