Search the forum,

Discuss Through Crimping question? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

northernsparky

A guy on the job im on at the minute (O.A.P court/block of flats) has through crimped the 25mm tails from the meter to the DB twice (20m run). To me the fact that tails are double insulated in the first place to the current rating of the cable but has twice been taking down to a bare metal crimp with just a few wraps of insulation tape seems dodgy as hell especially when we all know insulation tape tends to go soft and "claggy" over time.

My question is, is this acceptable considering thermal cycling etc and the general practice of this method and also would you end up having to put a cross in the box regarding 'double insulated'?

not acceptable . diabolical workmanship. would you have that in your house?

Last edited:
thought so, tried to point this out to the guy but he was having non of it. Just wanted to double-check i had my facts right before i had another go and make him rip it all out again.

thanks guys, much appreciated!

IMO , if a joint in tails is unavoidable, then henley blocks, suitably fixed to the fabric of the building is the only way. but not 2 joins in each cable. that's pants. did he get the cable off the local pikeys?

His excuse was that there wasnt enough time on the job to pull in new tails even though its all ran in trunking through the communal corridors etc. It's beyond bad practice to me.

so, what's his next move? no time to terminate cpc's, let's cut 'em off.

I didnt think it was acceptable to run meter tails more than 3 mtrs be they in trunking or not,why didnt this bloke use swa and a suitable switch fuse,he sounds like an accident waiting to happen,no wonder there is a big magnifying glass looking upon the industry with people like him about,im sure i speak for all,the job gets done properly first time,with the correct materials,that guy is NO competent electrician.

I didnt think it was acceptable to run meter tails more than 3 mtrs be they in trunking or not,why didnt this bloke use swa and a suitable switch fuse,he sounds like an accident waiting to happen,no wonder there is a big magnifying glass looking upon the industry with people like him about,im sure i speak for all,the job gets done properly first time,with the correct materials,that guy is NO competent electrician.

yes thats what i have always been led to believe

btw i have used 25mm through crimps several times in scotch joints, adaptable boxes for damaged swa etc plus John Gibbons who used to be the main NIC guy back in the day told me they do not need to be inspected as they are classed as a mechanical connection

His excuse was that there wasnt enough time on the job to pull in new tails even though its all ran in trunking through the communal corridors etc. It's beyond bad practice to me.
IMO that's not a good enough excuse - it's up there with "the customer didn't want me to make a mess" and "it had to be done to budget". Fair enough the crimps are in trunking but wrapping a bit of tape around them means they're not even single insulated properly... Twice.

aye , i found about ten rolls today, does people still use it mogga

Of course they still use self amalgamating tape, far better than PVC insulating tape in many circumstances. It's insulating value also far exceeds that of PVC tape too!!

It goes on in tape form, but amalgamates into a solid, it needs to be cut off, it will never unravel once bonded together!! So hang on to that tape mate, it's dammed useful stuff!!

It can and will make a very decent permanent repair to SWA sheaths that have been damaged. It can also make a very useful temporary fix on a leaking pipework too ...lol!!!

what kind of crimps do you gus use for your works, can you use them on any voltages and what current can they take?

in cctv we use lot of jelly crimps aswell, can they be used in 230v and to what amperage. tried looking but you can just buy them not read about them

Don't forget that tails over three metres need to be fuse protected, can't name the Reg no. right now, but 99% sure. That's another thing to confront this cowboy with.

Your right 3 meters Max. Anything over this I would install 60 Amp switch fuse at source and run a 25mm or 16mm 3core SWA, or 16mm twin and earth with 16mm earth in the trunking!

Reply to Through Crimping question? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net