Discuss Time of year for outdoor sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
My neighbour asked if I could get his outdoor Christmas lights working, as they worked last year, but not this. Quick check, cable squashed where he'd fed it through patio door, fair play, it had lasted 3 years of patio door being closed on it. I suggested an outdoor socket, but of course, too expensive. Got me thinking though, what is the best way to wire one? I have an RCD controlled spur point off the downstairs ring, through the wall to an outdoor dual socket. Trouble is if it does trip I have to go round to go into the house to reset it. (Ok I admit it, it works, Flymo 1 extension lead 0) Is it better to have a normal fused spur and a socket with an RCD built in? I just felt my way protects the whole spur. Now no nasty and too technical answers!

Adding an outdoor socket too expensive ................. walk away and find decent paying clients.

The problem with your "approach" is that the RCD in the fuseboard is more than likely going to trip first.

I didn't think you were a practising spark.

Never said I was, I was suggesting he paid an electrician to do it. My socket was installed before I bought the house. As long as something trips I'm not too bothered. The spur rcd did actually trip first.

Last edited:
If the circuit supplying the socket was RCD/RCBO protected you'll have a long walk anyway! It's not something you should have to worry about happening often anyway.

Although not really your question, I've found outdoor sockets and Christmas lights don't really play ball together. Transformer plugs don't fit into outdoor sockets, plus manufacturer's instructions usually state the transformer should be kept indoors.

Can we get 10 mA trips so neighbours dogs are safe?
(and it might give adequate differentiation?)

I would not be sure about 10mA saving a dogs life,ironically,the larger,or rather longer dogs,are more at risk.

You will need to alter the time,not the current,for disorientation :)

....Unless this ask,is a convoluted way of finding out how to slot a neighbours,noisy dog...;)

A 10mA RCD socket will not provide guaranteed discrimination with a 30mA RCD/RCBO.
It will be hit and miss whether just the 10mA trips or whether both trip.
What I like about RCD sockets, is that you are more likely to test the socket RCD every time you plug something into it.
Unless the RCD/RCBO in your fuse box is tested every 3 months, there is no guarantee it will operate.

Christmas lights would have to have an extension to one of those ip65 boxes, got to be better than running through door or window.

The outdoor 'weatherproof boxes' are reasonable solutions for this sort of things. They can accomodate timers, 4 way extension leads, plug-top type transformers etc. And you don't have to take plugs off to feed wires through stuffing glands etc.

Obviously RCD protected by whatever method is deemed most appropriate.

Reply to Time of year for outdoor sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net