Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, woud you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Time of year for outdoor sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Percyprod

Percyprod Regular EF Member

My neighbour asked if I could get his outdoor Christmas lights working, as they worked last year, but not this. Quick check, cable squashed where he'd fed it through patio door, fair play, it had lasted 3 years of patio door being closed on it. I suggested an outdoor socket, but of course, too expensive. Got me thinking though, what is the best way to wire one? I have an RCD controlled spur point off the downstairs ring, through the wall to an outdoor dual socket. Trouble is if it does trip I have to go round to go into the house to reset it. (Ok I admit it, it works, Flymo 1 extension lead 0) Is it better to have a normal fused spur and a socket with an RCD built in? I just felt my way protects the whole spur. Now no nasty and too technical answers!

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Adding an outdoor socket too expensive ................. walk away and find decent paying clients.

The problem with your "approach" is that the RCD in the fuseboard is more than likely going to trip first.

I didn't think you were a practising spark.

3. Percyprod

Never said I was, I was suggesting he paid an electrician to do it. My socket was installed before I bought the house. As long as something trips I'm not too bothered. The spur rcd did actually trip first.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. Resu

Resu Trusted Advisor

If the circuit supplying the socket was RCD/RCBO protected you'll have a long walk anyway! It's not something you should have to worry about happening often anyway.

Although not really your question, I've found outdoor sockets and Christmas lights don't really play ball together. Transformer plugs don't fit into outdoor sockets, plus manufacturer's instructions usually state the transformer should be kept indoors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. static zap

static zap Regular EF Member

Can we get 10 mA trips so neighbours dogs are safe?
    (and it might give adequate differentiation?)

6. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

I would not be sure about 10mA saving a dogs life,ironically,the larger,or rather longer dogs,are more at risk.

You will need to alter the time,not the current,for disorientation :)

....Unless this ask,is a convoluted way of finding out how to slot a neighbours,noisy dog...;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. static zap

static zap Regular EF Member

Sounds expensive (best get RSPCA to sponsor !)

8. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

A 10mA RCD socket will not provide guaranteed discrimination with a 30mA RCD/RCBO.
    It will be hit and miss whether just the 10mA trips or whether both trip.
    What I like about RCD sockets, is that you are more likely to test the socket RCD every time you plug something into it.
    Unless the RCD/RCBO in your fuse box is tested every 3 months, there is no guarantee it will operate.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Percyprod

Christmas lights would have to have an extension to one of those ip65 boxes, got to be better than running through door or window.

10. Rosco

Rosco Regular EF Member

I’ve driven down some roads where people don’t even bother with sockets for Christmas lights, just find the nearest council lamppost :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

The outdoor 'weatherproof boxes' are reasonable solutions for this sort of things. They can accomodate timers, 4 way extension leads, plug-top type transformers etc. And you don't have to take plugs off to feed wires through stuffing glands etc.

Obviously RCD protected by whatever method is deemed most appropriate.

12. Percyprod

My thoughts exactly. Only in use for a short time.

• Like Like x 1