Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss TL inverters IR testing in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. sambotc

sambotc Electrician's Arms

Sorry to raise this question again. What are you guys getting on your DC IR test's on new installs? I've been doing some DC IR testing on Fronius 3.6 IGTL inverters and they are coming back as 50-100M ohms which is fine as far as DTI guide says, but not what I was expecting ie >999M ohms type AC results? I am presuming this is due to lack of galvanic isolation in the TL but wanted to clarify? None of the arrays are bonded and all to date are TNCS

Cheers in advance

2. SolarCity

SolarCity Electrician's Arms

Don't want to go over old ground too much but you should be bonding those arrays if you're using a TL inverter.

What exactly are you testing? The IR tests should be done with the strings disconnected from the inverter - perhaps this is why you're getting those readings?

3. sambotc

Yeah I know the arrays should be bonded, but this crowd don't do it! I am carrying out test's to collect lost data as far as I can tell (just doing what I am told to earn a living due to recent redundancy) large well known company making up the rules to suit I guess!

As for inverter, your right I am being a dunce the inverter is out of the equation as the DC isolator is off when I test sorry,i'm testing CPC at AC isolator by inverter to DC - & + (2 separate tests noting lowest reading on paperwork)

For some reason the DC IR tests just aren't making sense to me which is why I asked the question. If it was an isolated result I would be concerned, but it's every job where the results are lower than I expect so their must be a reason, I just can't figure out what!

Cheers for the reply

4. sambotc

Just to add, using a metrel mi3200 MFT if its relevent, calibrated and all OK on AC tests so don't think thats the issue

5. sambotc

Any ideas or do you all think i'm bonkers?

Are you all getting infinite readings when doing IR on DC ?

6. SolarCity

SolarCity Electrician's Arms

I'm not sure why you test to your CPC as your PV installation uses Class II equipment anyway. You should test the strings to the metal work of your array (or at least that's what I do)

And I'm not sure why you're getting those readings either.

7. mmccx

mmccx Regular EF Member

are all the modules connected to the strings?

8. yellowvanman

yellowvanman Electrician's Arms

Page 53 of DTI Guide

9. sambotc

Taken from DTI guide

NOTE REGARDING TEST METHOD
     Two test methods are possible:
    a) Test between Array Negative and Earth followed by a test between Array Positive and Earth
    b) Test between Earth and short-circuited Array Positive & Negative
     Where the structure/frame is bonded to earth, the earth connection may be to any suitable
    earth connection or to the array frame (where the array frame is utilised, ensure a good
    contact and that there is continuity over the whole metallic frame).
     For systems where the array frame is not bonded to earth (eg where there is a class II
    installation) a commissioning engineer may choose to do two tests: i) between Array cables
    and Earth and an additional test ii) between Array cables and Frame.
     For Arrays that have no accessible conductive parts (eg PV roof tiles) the test should be between
    Array cables and Building Earth

Still none the wiser as to why i'm getting a reading on my meter on more than one occasion? I've got a new install to do tomorrow so I will see if its the same reading on a job I have wired, I was carrying out IR DC testing wrong when I was installing before Dec 12th so can't comment.

10. yellowvanman

yellowvanman Electrician's Arms

I've no idea why you are getting the readings, I wouldn;t worry about it - 50M+ is more than adequate!