Discuss TNCS High ZE at origin in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If they are telling you it is PME and you are getting those readings then you have no link between the earthing conductor and supply neutral.

Yes that's what it would seem right.

There must be a problem with the link but just wondering why the DNO have not picked this reading up....?

Would they have just tested between L-N ?

Yes that's what it would seem right.

There must be a problem with the link but just wondering why the DNO have not picked this reading up....?

Would they have just tested between L-N ?
Hi - from their wording, they have provided you with a PME means of earthing. However given the 9 Ohms Ze, it seems it's not been connected to the installation's MET (by you :) )

I cannot see anywhere that it states that the property is currently a PME system. In fact, the OP says “the 25mm earth comes from elsewhere - I'll have to investigate further” so it looks like it is currently a TT or TNS system. The DNO actually seem to be saying they made a decision to provide PME tails for an electrician of choice to connect into the excising setup. I suspect they have not done this yet and will do the actual conversion when an electrician is present.

Are you sure this is not a TT system?

I cannot see anywhere that it states that the property is currently a PME system. In fact, the OP says “the 25mm earth comes from elsewhere - I'll have to investigate further” so it looks like it is currently a TT or TNS system. The DNO actually seem to be saying they made a decision to provide PME tails for an electrician of choice to connect into the excising setup. I suspect they have not done this yet and will do the actual conversion when an electrician is present.

Just reread all this and you are quite correct. OP where does the 25.0 earthing conductor go to I probably wrongly assumed it went to the head.

Hi Davisonp

This sounds like a good translation of their wording.

I'm pretty sure it's not a TT system/although could be mistaken.

I did think perhaps maybe a TNS due to the 0.44 on the L-N

But have been advised by a colleague who came to site with me originally that it's a TNCS.

Hopefully they have a log of their visit and can advise what system it definitely is

I thought it was only myself that was confused so i refrained from posting anything
Having read the later replies it appears to me I am not alone

Op,can you give a definitive description of the head and the supply type
Is there a separate earth conductor entering the property?

Can you confirm or deny a installation earthing conductor connection has been made
to the Pme at the cut out or elsewhere even?

I thought it was only myself that was confused so i refrained from posting anything
Having read the later replies it appears to me I am not alone

Op,can you give a definitive description of the head and the supply type
Is there a separate earth conductor entering the property?

Can you confirm or deny a installation earthing conductor connection has been made
to the Pme at the cut out or elsewhere even?

Will retrieve pics and post ASAP...I've asked the tenant (family friend) to take a pic or two of the meter cupboard

If they are telling you it is PME and you are getting those readings then you have no link between the earthing conductor and supply neutral.

If there was no link - would I be getting a reading similar to 9 ohms?

I'd expect no reading...?

If so and there is no link - where is the 9 ohms coming from?

If there was no link - would I be getting a reading similar to 9 ohms?

I'd expect no reading...?

If so and there is no link - where is the 9 ohms coming from?
We need a clearer picture of what is going on because this has become very confused. I think I wrongly assumed the earthing conductor was connected to the head hence my assumption there was no link to this conductor from the supply neutral.

Reply to TNCS High ZE at origin in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net