Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss To spur or not to spur?..... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Quick description. I've got a socket on the RFC with a double socket already spurred off it. This socket has been replaced with a blank plate with the joint in the box. Customer would like another socket installed nearby but in opposite direction. Brick wall

Solution 1. Change blank plate to SFU. Have both sockets off the fused outlet. (not a radial circuit, but 2 radials. with one point on each.)

Solution 2. Change blank plate to SFU. Have original spur on supply side, new spur off fused outlet. (Not altering what was existing)

Solution 3. Spend a little time chasing out the brickwork and have both spurs on the RFC. Replace the blank plate.

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

me ,solution 2.

3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Wouldn't option 2 be 2 spurs off the same point on the RFC?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AJshep

AJshep Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Andrew Shepherd Electrics
    Im a little confused with option 2 also.
    Are you saying the blank plate ( which is currently a spur off the ring) will be changed to a FCU then you will take the new socket off of the fused side.

So your end up with a FCU (that will be your 1× spur point from the ring) then your new socket(s) will be spured from the 13amp output side of that ?

5. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    The way I read it is: the original spur will be fed from incoming side of the FSU and the new spur will be fed from the load side, I think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AJshep

AJshep Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Andrew Shepherd Electrics
    I get you, so a spur off of a spur like you mentioned in post 3

7. sam400

sam400 Regular EF Member

Or
    4. assess circuit loading does it need 32 amps? convert to 20A radial and then spur yourself silly

8. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

what came first the chicken or the egg.

9. buzzlightyear

back in the book you go.

10. buzzlightyear

looks like he's hit a brick wall.

11. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

This is a very strange question to ask.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    No I see it as he will have 4 wires in the input terminals ring and 2 Spurs,the original spur and the new spur ergo 2 Spurs off of the same point on thRfc

13. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Not strange. Its a realistic scenario I'm faced with.
    No2 is as explained. 1 spur from supply side, 1 spur from load side. Is that classed as 2 spurs from the same point?
    No1 is 2 spurs from same point, but that's fused down, so is it acceptable?
    I wouldn't put 4 cables into one connection.
    The blank plate used to be a single socket on the ring. There is no socket now, just a joint in the box.

14. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    I'm confused now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Can't you see option two is a multiple outlet spur?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1