• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss To spur or not to spur?..... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Quick description. I've got a socket on the RFC with a double socket already spurred off it. This socket has been replaced with a blank plate with the joint in the box. Customer would like another socket installed nearby but in opposite direction. Brick wall

Solution 1. Change blank plate to SFU. Have both sockets off the fused outlet. (not a radial circuit, but 2 radials. with one point on each.)

Solution 2. Change blank plate to SFU. Have original spur on supply side, new spur off fused outlet. (Not altering what was existing)

Solution 3. Spend a little time chasing out the brickwork and have both spurs on the RFC. Replace the blank plate.

Im a little confused with option 2 also.
Are you saying the blank plate ( which is currently a spur off the ring) will be changed to a FCU then you will take the new socket off of the fused side.

So your end up with a FCU (that will be your 1× spur point from the ring) then your new socket(s) will be spured from the 13amp output side of that ?

Im a little confused with option 2 also.
Are you saying the blank plate ( which is currently a spur off the ring) will be changed to a FCU then you will take the new socket off of the fused side.

So your end up with a FCU (that will be your 1× spur point from the ring) then your new socket(s) will be spured from the 13amp output side of that ?
The way I read it is: the original spur will be fed from incoming side of the FSU and the new spur will be fed from the load side, I think.

I get you, so a spur off of a spur like you mentioned in post 3
No I see it as he will have 4 wires in the input terminals ring and 2 Spurs,the original spur and the new spur ergo 2 Spurs off of the same point on thRfc

Not strange. Its a realistic scenario I'm faced with.
No2 is as explained. 1 spur from supply side, 1 spur from load side. Is that classed as 2 spurs from the same point?
No1 is 2 spurs from same point, but that's fused down, so is it acceptable?
I wouldn't put 4 cables into one connection.
The blank plate used to be a single socket on the ring. There is no socket now, just a joint in the box.

But using that logic if you fitted a 13a FCU right next to a socket which was on the ring everything fed from the FCU would be a spur off a spur etc.?

But using that logic if you fitted a 13a FCU right next to a socket which was on the ring everything fed from the FCU would be a spur off a spur etc.?
Yes it is, but think the point is that at least that's acceptable because the cable will be fused down to 13amps, to avoid any overload.

A spur from a spur (even if one of those is a FCU) is not.

The two socket outlets need to be both connected from the fused side of the fcu.

Yes I'm sorry I was visualising this one as the blanked off point being the spur when it's not, but there would be no harm in going off in 2 directions from the outgoing side of the FCU as long as you could connect 4 x 2.5mm T&Es properly within a single box, I'd want a 47mm one for that. :)

Reply to To spur or not to spur?..... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back