Discuss Torque screwdriver settings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a torque screwdriver but unsure if it's worth it. Is it a regulation now or just good practice now for connections to be torqued? If so is it just for CU's?

There is not a regulation, as far as I'm aware, that you have to use a torque driver to tighten terminals, but there is reg 134.1.1, .....good workmanship......take account of manufactures instructions, and as most CU manufacturers detail torque settings for MCB's etc, it something to consider.

I have one and use it on MCB's etc, but I also been known to use my wrist torque settings!

Issue with them, is they need annual calibration, and without the current manufacturers instructions, how do you know the settings for an older MCB etc?

So who does the calibration? Let's say your changing a CU or putting a new circuit in, do you think it's a necessary tool to have?

If you have spare cash, it could be useful. If you haven't, its a luxury. That said, if your CU has 'issues' 'cos you've overtightened it, you could be scrutinised 'cos you haven't a torque driver.

They'll be some old sweats along shortly, to shoot me down in flames :rolleyes:

Think 1-5 would be a better range. Just found this, re my other post;
http://www.elecsa.co.uk/documents/c...l-downloads/manufacturer-torque-settings.aspx

They ain't cheap;
http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wiha-vde-torque-screwdriver-set-11-pieces/2581K?kpid=2581K&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=Cj0KEQjwy4zLBRCOg6-4h6vs3cUBEiQAN-yzfpjbadEDZZ3_YRtbSYKAPVQaB6U2nkeERF5Z5cKVtwoaAohT8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CI-Npf2L_9QCFaIx0wodP7EJsA

I have one of these, and ELECSA are happy. Should only be used AFTER safe isolation as not VDE.

Sealey Tools, Draper Tools | Workshopping.co.uk - https://www.workshopping.co.uk/product/draper-expert-torque-screwdriver-kit-1-5nm/75170/”

I also have a set of these.

CK 422001 SET OF 2 x MODULO SCREWDRIVER INSERT BITS (SIZE 1 & 2) - 1/4" HEX | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/300832659311?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=43111904323&rlsatarget=pla-379771106047&abcId=1128936&adtype=pla&merchantid=7258374&poi=&googleloc=1006474&device=c&campaignid=857338014&crdt=0”

bloody things . fit for limp wristed poouufs. if you can't tighten a screw down properly, maybe time for a career change to lawyer/accountant/politician/shelf stacker.

it's not about that telectrix, it's about wanting to provide a professional and safe service. No matter how good you think you are, you don't have a torque mechanism in your wrist and I bet you have over or under tightened a mcb before. No ones perfect but we can all try to be

As has been said it's not regulation yet but the Stroma assessment guy said it is good practice and that it is worth doing as then you have a leg to stand on if something goes wrong, at least you have compliance with the manufacturers instructions! I have and use the wiha one, it has the range you need for almost all manufacturers. Is nice to use too
Sy

we never had these new-fangled talking screwdrivers 50 years ago. and we never had loose terminations either. is it a catch22? the invention of the drivers propagates loose terminals, or is it loose terminals propagate the tools. don't matter a damn now anyway. we fit metal CUs, so poor termination is cured at a stroke.

Things change. It was changed before me and there isn't much I can do about it. Some things were probably better back then but a damn sight more has improved over the years.

I'm new to the industry and I'm trying to work and adhere to what is current and what is going to improve standards.

Reply to Torque screwdriver settings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net