Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Trace wire through my house in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Rodrayner

Rodrayner DIY

Hi,
    I am removing my room thermostats as i'm going "smart heating" and need to trace the wire from the room stat downstairs back to the heating control in a cupboard upstairs so it can be removed from the circuit.

I'm thinking all i need is a simple tone generator / wire tracer like the ones used on network cabling but i'm not sure if they would work or be sufficient.

The power will be switch off when i trace the cable as all i need to do is identify which wires are which.

Do i need anything special or can i just buy something simple of amazon with a couple of crocodile clips and a 9volt battery?

Thanks in advance.

2. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

An electrician would be able to identify which cable it is in the wiring centre by what it’s connected to. For example if it was an S-plan the switch live of the cable in question would be connected to the brown of the CH 2 port valve and if it was a Y-plan then the switch live of the cable in question would be connected to the white of the mid position valve.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    head bone connected to the back bone, backbone connected to the thigh bone, thigh bone connected to the knee bone, knee bone connected to the ankle bone. ankle bone connected to the foot bone, foot bone connected to the steel toecaps, praise the name of H&S.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Rodrayner

Rodrayner DIY

@Leesparkykent@Leesparkykent, thanks for the feedback but i'd prefer an answer to my question rather than an "electrician would know how to do it"... i dont need to know what or how the cable works... i just want to remove it... in its entirety.

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Risteard

Risteard Respected Member

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    @Leesparkykent@Leesparkykent gave you good advice.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rodrayner

Rodrayner DIY

Fair enough... my mistake... i apologise... i didn't realise this was a forum for just trades people to speak to trades people... i made the mistake of misunderstanding the DIY section as actually asking people for assitance... if i knew i was just going to get advice telling me an electrician would know how to do it i would of asked my mum..

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you incapable of checking to see what heating system you have, as in a S,Y,C plan etc? And then following the advice I gave you in my other post? If so you shouldn’t be trying to undertake this task in the 1st place. I would also drop the adolescent teenager attitude if you wish to receive more constructive advice from this forum. Thanks Lee

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. snowhead

snowhead Respected Member

If you want to remove the Stat cable completely, just start at the stat and follow the cable and remove it as you go, with the power off. You will have the answer to where it's connected when you get to the end. If you're removing the wired Stat and fitting smart then you'll need to understand the wiring in the Junction box/wiring centre when you connect up the hub or receiver or whatever is on the wired end of the system.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. davesparks

davesparks Forum Mentor

But if you just simply remove the cable your heating will stop working. You need to know how to incorporate the new controls to replace the existing stat so you will need to identify the connections at the wiring centre anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I was going to report you to a moderator, but then you are a moderator :)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  11. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Go on REPORT him I dare ya :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

OP: For tracing cables, using a battery, croc clips and bulb, or whatever (a multimeter would suffice) then you would have to disconnect the joints in the wiring centre. These wiring centres can be complicated to understand for a basic electrician, never mind a layman DIYer.

The smart stat wiring diagram may appear simple, its only 2 wires, right? but there is so much can go wrong... and I bet the instruction say "if in doubt, consult a qualified electrician"

Lee was right in his response, and as he is a moderator, he doesn't dish out advice like "get an electrician in" willy-nilly

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TonyMitchell

TonyMitchell Electrician's Arms

Is your mum an electrician then? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. PEG

PEG Respected Member

Yeah...and it's "....would have asked my mum" :)

On a serious note,a spark or similar,would not only be able to identify your wiring,but mark up,and safely leave in position,for the day you need a wall light,or feed to a mounted appliance.

....Least,that is what me mum reckons...

• Funny Funny x 6
  15. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

would've, would've been fine too...
    but I am being Pedantic Pirate, and really should of...sorry, should've gone to bed ages ago