Discuss Training For Us DIYers... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The main problem is that we all see this on a weekly or daily basis, people asking for step by step guides or trying to pull the wool over our eyes by saying someone else did this or that, so it is understandable why we are skeptical and defensive when it comes to dishing out advice and sometimes insulted when told “how hard can it be?”

When I first joined I got caught out by a step by step merchant as I was trying to help and took pity on their situation, it was then pointed out to me that this was possible a bad decision (lesson truly learnt on my part!)

But when someone comes in and is honest with either “I’ve tried and screwed up” or “I want to learn” then I have time for these people (obviously hero boy gets a slap on wrist and told to find someone local to help, but they have learnt)

In short if you want to learn great but still know your limits and learn the safety and regs first!!

Then sky is your limit.

Rant/explanation complete ;);)

I think the OP has already explained his intentions in #1 and#5 yes we have to take his intentions at face value, but that's all we can do.

I don't really see his purpose Pete, OP's just explained he's quite handy fixing the odd problem in his household. Whey bother going onto the next stage?

Might as well get a competent trades person for the more complex stuff, requiring training courses. :)

Seems you are now looking at the next step. How far to you intend to go.

I guess that's the question...As I say I have no intention of doing major electrical work, but I would like to improve myself. While I am happy to invest my time (ie evening classes ect) I think in reality it will come down to costs of any potential training...

I don't really see his purpose Pete, OP's just explained he's quite handy fixing the odd problem in his household. Whey bother going onto the next stage?

Might as well get a competent trades person for the more complex stuff, requiring training courses. :)
Deleted

If I can put a negative spin on this thread.

To carry such work in your own house, shall we say to comply with Part P building regs, will require a certain amount of investment.

As others have said, you would need to pay for some training courses. You would also need to invest in some testing equipment, and purchase tools, if you haven't already got them You would also need to consider, whether any of the work required notification to local building control.

All in all, if a cost benefit analysis was carried out, I think most would come to the conclusion, that it would make more financial sense, to employ the services of an electrician, unless perhaps you have a large scale project in mind.

I'm sat here typing, because my van is currently in the garage, getting a fault fixed. I perhaps could of gone to night school previously, in preparation for this event. However I'm content to pay for repairs to my van, by someone with the skills, knowledge & suitable equipment. Next week, I'm getting my chimney swept by a registered chimney sweep. I could perhaps go out and by some brushes & rods and do the job myself, but I'm not sure how my insurance company would respond, if the chimney happed to catch fire, due to my sweeping skills.
Had my chimney (on Recently purchased house) checked swept by a registered sweep who also happened to be senior fire officer. He issued a certificate but stated that it was basically worthless after he walked out the door. I do possess a set of brushes and do sweep my own chimney. Must admit £50 for the sweep sounds good value when you consider the time & mess saving.
But I agree with Midwest , when you start looking at the study and investment in learning, training and investing in kit you have to do a lot of DIY to get your money back. Then again you might just be a tool tart who is looking at an excuse to buy lots of new toys! :rolleyes:

Had my chimney (on Recently purchased house) checked swept by a registered sweep who also happened to be senior fire officer. He issued a certificate but stated that it was basically worthless after he walked out the door. I do possess a set of brushes and do sweep my own chimney. Must admit £50 for the sweep sounds good value when you consider the time & mess saving.
:rolleyes:

In my previous place I lived, I had a wood burner...I had been there a "number" of years before I had the chimney swept... The sweep was a bit taken a back and said it would be done at least once a year maybe twice, depending on what was been burnt..I still think he was just trying to drum up business! :)

Mine has convinced me that his £50 charge will keep the insurance company at bay.

Reminds me, need to up my hourly rate. :(

Edit; vans still in the garage :eek:

..I still think he was just trying to drum up business! :)

This is the problem.. You never know...
It's a bit like that mattress advert that 'recommends you change your mattress every 8 years.' Sod that... I'm not changing mine until I have a spring sticking in my back...

This sounds like you want to be a little bit pregnant. No such thing! your'e all in or all out, there are no half way measures. Broadly there are three areas to master. Science, although basic as it is, regulatory and statutory requirements and last by no means least, practical skills. It sounds like Practical skills may not be a problem so science and legal aspects. If you started with the legal such as H&S EAWR COSSH WEEE WaHregs ad nauseum it would be a good place. Consider effects on house insurance and medical insurance if you have any. Consider the ramifications on selling the house.
Science not so difficult, can be a bit daunting when first encountered like all things. However very doable. Now saying that, I have had people working with me who have completed a three year course and worked just on domestic, and did not have a clue. So what did they learn? darned if I know!
You cannot complete work in your house without testing! As then you have no way of proving the work is safe. Bear in mind you and yours rely upon safe work methods. So you will need to master using an MFT. Even knowing the theory will not prepare you for anomalous results you get as they are not taught anywhere. This is where experience comes in. That takes years.
For instance, I can do a bit of plumbing. Quite proud of my installing a bar mixer shower, had I known more I might have saved myself a few hundred. The bar mixer had no check valves and the cold water siphoned back into the heat exchanger in the combi and burnt out the exchanger. A new one cost nigh on £3oo. Ok no harm done except to my wallet, maybe pride...but it illustrates a point that a little knowledge really could be a dangerous thing. Ok think I have gone on enough, don't take this as discouragement. I think it is an interesting and moot point.

Fair play to the OP for being honest in what he wants to gain more knowledge in electrics for.
I would always say that " little knowledge" in electrics is dangerous but only if you are carrying out work on it, but there is nothing wrong in trying to learn more to understand it better. Now understanding it and carrying out electrical work are 2 different things. Even in your own home there are limitations and far to few IMO. Look at some of the most common threads in this forum and you will see, how do i wire this light, how do i run power to my garage, how do i wire this switch the list goes on. Having some knowledge to question or understand what an electrician is talking about if you are getting them to quote for a job might help you. Even a socket that does not work anymore may not just be a like for like replacement. Know your limitations and i dont mean what the regs state i mean your own limitations. If you post questions on this forum many members will help you and probably point you in the right direction to learn more but a post asking for a how to do it guide will probably get very little.

Reply to Training For Us DIYers... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net