Currently reading:
TT off water main or tncs with no earth (Victorian house city centre)

Discuss TT off water main or tncs with no earth (Victorian house city centre) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys came across this today, Ze of 37 ohms, surprised me as thought it was a tncs- Victorian house, Db from 1989, no docs- could it be a TT off the water main? 10mm bonding to gas and another 10mm out of sight. The met on the rhs of tncs
block not connected to neutral- can anyone help me with some ideas? Cheers.
IMG_20180228_104819916.jpg
IMG_20180228_114411875.jpg

Looks like a TNS from a lead covered cable.
Originally supply cables did not provide an earth point the lead just providing protection for the cable, so many services are actually TNS with no earth terminal.

The earth block runs into the terminal and there is space for a link, the neighbour's block is identical and has a link- here's the a pic of the next door one...View attachment 41076

That is a TNS cutout fed by a split concentric cable, you can just see the bare earth conductors connected to the earth terminal internally.

However this begs the question of why you are breaking the seals and taking cutouts apart?

Eh? I asked where you got that value from, not what you were referring to.
200 Ohms is the value recommended not to be exceeded in regs, as you well kn0w . Yes NICEIC do recommend under 100. For an earth electrode. So far as the nonsense is concerned(I'll be objective here not obstructive)If you look at B.S.7430 IT RECOMMENDS 100 ohms max and 2 meters of rod as the top meter of soil can be unreliable. Eh?

200 Ohms is the value recommended not to be exceeded in regs, as you well kn0w . Yes NICEIC do recommend under 100. For an earth electrode. So far as the nonsense is concerned(I'll be objective here not obstructive)If you look at B.S.7430 IT RECOMMENDS 100 ohms max and 2 meters of rod as the top meter of soil can be unreliable. Eh?
542.2.6 Says other metallic water supply work can't be used unless
precautions are taken and it's been considered for use. So if you'r
desperate and can understand what that means, and what ''Other''
is and you can be bothered with all the hassel , you can. Maybe.

Reply to TT off water main or tncs with no earth (Victorian house city centre) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock