Discuss Type B or C RCBO in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

An RCD may be classed as either additional protection or to satisfy disconnection times....411.4.9.

If in the case of the OP if it was found that starting surges were a problem with a type B...and the Zs exceeded the maximum allowable for a type C OCPD would you rewire the circuit in a larger cable to bring it within the allowances for a type C..??,(or some other expensive fix?), when the regulations permit the RCD element of the device already installed to meet the requirements for disconnection times?
If you prefer the first option I'm glad I'm not one of your cutomers.

That's all well and good wirepuller, until that RCD your now relying on for your disconnection times, decides to give-up the ghost!!

That's the point these day's, your all relying on this ''cure all'' 1667 ohms that an RCD provides instead of getting a decent Zs on your installation circuits.. You can look at it anyway you wish, on a TN supplies an RCD should always be looked on as ''Additional'' Protection NOT your only means of protection!! That type of protection should be limited to a UK TT system, and even that, doesn't sit too well with me, but i can live with it ...to a point....lol!!!

Well why is it that we can add a FCU to an existing radial and it is classed as a non notifiable extension.

And yet when we add a small DB to the end of a radial it then in your opinion becomes notifiable.

So its a new circuit, and thus its notifiable.

Please explain this to me.

Last edited:
This particular radial is not, it's fused at 32 Amps, but the rest of the house board is.

Hum, now things are a bit clearer. If you're adding socket(s) in a garage on a SDB they do need to be RCD'ed IMHO.

That said I do think the RCD for all new sockets is a completely daft idea. I recently lost some work because I quoted by the book an another sparky didn't and he fitted new sockets without RCD protection

Is this the garage/outbuilding you've been working on recently?

Yes, this is for my assessment.

It's a 6mm SWA from the house non RCD protected fused at 32 Amps.
Sub board in the garage with lights and sockets all RCD protected.

One socket for fridge freezer that may or may not be RCD protected (the owner will be told to not use this socket for anything else)

just telling em wont be enough mate....it wont stop em using it for something else "just this once"........and sods law will dictate it will be THEN that a fault occurs.....need to label it up clearly and make a note of it on your paperwork......but as has been suggested here already...you can surface run this cable..or.. you can run it in an earthed metalic conduit....thats if buried at a depth of less than 50mm...would still need labeling up though......and as its a garage it wont require notification (assuming its an alteration or addition to an EXISTING circuit)...if its a new circuit (back to the board)....then its notifyable and a minor works wont cut it either then...........

Not sure I'd be using a circuit/socket without RCD protection for my assessment!

Isn't this a rebuilt garage and haven't you fitted a new SBD in the garage?

It's a rebuilt garage with a new SDB yes.

The cable was left from the old existing garage.

Why would the assessor not like a non RCD protected socket if it is clearly labelled?

Last edited:
Supply radial has been tested very well.

EIC good, this may impress the assessor, non RCD protected socket I can see where you are coming from, I may just leave it and not fit it.

Reply to Type B or C RCBO in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net