Discuss UK electrician in Canada thinking of moving home in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

clagan

Hey all,

Im originally from Northern Ireland where I did my electrical apprenticeship then worked in London for two years.

I moved to Canada about 7 years ago and got my electrical licence and have been working steadily ever since in heavy industry, land based oil, hydro electric Dam construction and GBS construction.
My wife is interested in moving back to Northern Ireland. Im not that keen on the idea because of how well we are doing here and because I don't think I can make close to what I am making here on these jobs.
So I'm wondering are there any jobs in the UK or further a field that has a fly in fly out rotation that I'm used to here? Like before i left i heard rumours of jobs in the middle east and offshore jobs in Africa and even the North sea.
Any advice or info is much appreciated.

Yeah I was thinking I might get that kind of advice. Ill be able to keep the job I'm in at the minute and fly back to the UK every other turn around to see my wife. But I thought I would put the feelers out to see what everyone thought or if anyone had been through anything similar.

Yeah I was thinking I might get that kind of advice. Ill be able to keep the job I'm in at the minute and fly back to the UK every other turn around to see my wife. But I thought I would put the feelers out to see what everyone thought or if anyone had been through anything similar.
It's a personal choice of course. I've now and again spent some weeks and months away from home on business. The separation didn't sit well with me. Especially so with the children. You miss their growing up and development, particularly in their early years.

I recently moved home from Australia, previously worked in heavy industry, oil and gas, etc.

Im from the north east and there is not a great deal of work around in those industries at the moment. Seems to be a bit of work in commissioning, for that you will need your CompEx, Bosiet, Mist and a lucky break!

Im working in food and beverage as a electrical technician at the moment, hate it! Im looking at doing inspection and testing, 17th edition etc. and then moving to London. FMCG industry seems to be booming if you can put up with factory work.

I would do everything in your power to stay in Canada because I regret coming home a great deal!

Whats the process like for getting your license in Canada? Not as tricky as Australia I hope..

Reply to UK electrician in Canada thinking of moving home in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net