Discuss underwater lights, SELV, waterproof connectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've been asked to install Zehui Cool White 3 X 3W Led Underwater Spot Light 12V 9W. I'm a bit concerned, firstly, it has a very short lead for an underwater light (200mm), what sort of connector should I use? Secondly, it has a cpc within the flex but there is no continuity between the cpc and the body. I was under the impression these lights were SELV and there was no cpc. Thirdly, there are no instructions, warnings, or specifications other than "js0084w" and "3 x 3 12v" written in black marker on the box, (12 lights and no instructions in any box). I don't think I should install these units, any ideas?

The cpc in the flex is odd but if it is not connected to the body and since you will have no cpc from your power supply it should not cause a problem.
Since you are supplying the power you would know if it is a SELV supply, if it is then all good.
Presumably the lead is just to take it outside the pond, use waterproof connections (or a pond plug if likely to change them).

No British standards on them at all, CE markings etc? where did they come from?
If you feel you should not install them then that is what you should tell the customer: you are unsure of the suitability for the declared purpose.

I wouldn't get involved in underwater connections, 200mm is a ridiculously short cable, usually they come with a couple of meters of flex.

Agree with the above. If I was doing this i'd be wanting to bring all the sealed leads out into a central connection box, above water, something which you clearly can't do with the length of cable you have.

nah, just bang in a choc block and sprinkle fairy dust on it.

Reply to underwater lights, SELV, waterproof connectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net