Discuss Unsure about house wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to put some concerns to rest and seek your good peoples advice. I am not an electrician by trade. We have bought a house-and had the garage converted to family room with downstairs toilet and utility room. this conversion runs from a small sub consumer unit replacing the old garage fused one. my concern is that the electrician has run a radial off a socket on the ring. I though this wasn't allowed and only one spur socket from a ring unless it goes through an FCU but then isn't advisable as it can unbalance the ring. Currently i have a radial containing a socket for a washing machin socket for dryer and then four double sockets. Im realy concerned about the load on this radial. I have spoken to the electrician who said I'm talking rubbish and its in regs. he has also put me a new celling light in bathroom but just left all the cables connected by wagos loose and unsupported in the loft. I thought regs was it had to be in a box. As the light is within a special area am i not allowed to put these cables in a box myself. there is other things that have concerned me and getting no help from NICEIC who have said i need to get him back to put it right but after I also found hed left a bare live cable next to my hobs gas main I dont want him to set foot in the house.

Before i get someone else in i want to know what you guys think as i dont want to be told again its in regs if it isn't

And finally three way switching by intermediate switch is possible isnt it, he has told me three way is impossible

You can have as many ways as you want via intermediate switches. Did he give you any certificate for the wiring? Really essential to have someone who knows what they're doing on house wiring, and it doesn't sound like he does.

yes we have the install paper work but its been made invalid as I had another company fit me a smoke alarm radial, they had an appentise and asked if id mind they went through a full test with him as they had tested there circuit but had finished quicker than they thought.

there full test revealed a large variance between r1 and r2 and also a break in earth continuity so i dont believe any of the tests the first electrician has done

Not sure what your electrician has exactly done by your description.

However from BS7671;

Cable spurred from ring final circuit, can supply 1 x twin socket, 2 x single sockets or X amount from FCU, load dependant (App 15 informative).

Terminations should be housed inside an enclosure, not sure of a reg number on that.

And as Percy said about the intermediate switching.

Re the NIC, if you given the electrician an opportunity to rectify, and the NIC have agreed verbally its incorrect installation, they should come and have a look, but don't hold your breath.

Was the guy that wired the garage a NICEIC member? Are you saying in your post that the Electrician has spurred off of a socket on the Ring circuit and fitted a Garage Consumers unit?
Ideally the Garage circuit, (if I am reading yourpost correctly) should be wired from it's own circuit breaker in the Main C/U in the house.

Is your spark named Kermit? cos he sounds like a muppet.
2way and intermediate? not a problem.
Personally I would have made it a dedicated ring into garage when you know its going to be a high load. (tumble dryer etc)
Any connections must be in a box, so loose cables with wago's is a no-no.
Was your first electrician found on a cowboys-r-us website by any chance? (chuck a trade etc)

they wont come out to look unless it is escalated and it wont be escalated if i dont get him back or i get someone else to correct his work...,.

the spur is wired to a single socket and that spur runs two single sockets and four double sockets

gaage unit runs from main CU protected by RCD not sure on vvalue as im not at home. I asked for a ring to be put in always prefer rings to radials but he said i was being daft he is an NICEIC member but am having no joy they just say get him back but i dont want him back and was from check a trade

I don't want to repeat what others have said about these websites, but its not good. Search the forum.
Have you heard their jingle when they sponsor the weather in the morning on tv?. It sounds a little like the William Tell Overture by Rossini.... also known as the theme to the Lone Ranger. A programme all about cowboys.... Coincidence?

What about the other company that did the smoke detector? Can they offer advice or come and sort it out for you?

If this guy was a NICEICmember he wants his a55e kicking, if he isn't and told you he was/is that I believe is against the law, anyway you can check his membership number?

Threads like this are becoming all to common imho

The NICEIC stance is crxp

They need to come to the coal face and see what's going on by their contractors in their name?
Agree Murdoch, if in deed he is a member. Truth of the matter is as long as he pays, and the have no proof of malpractice, are they worried? are they feooek.

Last edited:
Not sure what your electrician has exactly done by your description.

However from BS7671;

Cable spurred from ring final circuit, can supply 1 x twin socket, 2 x single sockets or X amount from FCU, load dependant (App 15 informative).

Terminations should be housed inside an enclosure, not sure of a reg number on that.

And as Percy said about the intermediate switching.

Re the NIC, if you given the electrician an opportunity to rectify, and the NIC have agreed verbally its incorrect installation, they should come and have a look, but don't hold your breath.
An unfused spur should feed 1 single or 1 double socket Appendix 15 (informative) Regulation 433.1.204 page 453 BS7671

Do think we need to have a little bit of reserve here. OP thinks he has some problems with the work carried out. Difficult to tell from here. Appears to have already been given advice that the install is incorrect, before posting op.

What previous advise have you been given OP?

thanks guys for your replies, the smoke detector company said they can come and do a formal installation check for £80 and that will inclused inspecting the install to offer recommendations and a quote on remedial works. I just wanted to check my limited understanding of reading the regs was correct that a spur was only one socket. ive contacted the NICEIC they are happy that i get a condition report done but i must get the electrician back to fix anything and if i dont they really dont care. Apparently a live bare cable near a mains gas supply doesn't show someone's incompitent

NICEIC like the other Schemes, have an official complaints policy, that has to be followed, one of which is giving the contractor the opportunity to rectify things. However it seems you've already been advised the work is incorrect, and you don't what that contractor across your doorstep?

If the smoke alarm company are willing to do a 'formal installation check' for £80, is that 'condition report' for only the new work?

Reply to Unsure about house wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net