Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss USA Smart Lightswitch in the UK in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Mike121

Mike121 New EF Member

Hi there,

I'm renovating my house and want to include smart lightswitches to control all the lighting in the house.
    The main issue with doing this is that all the best smart light switches require a neutral wire in order to work. I'm planning on having the house rewired, so can get this sorted, but it appears that the device I'd like is only rated to work with a 120v supply.
    I'm wondering if doing this would meet regulations (and if it is even possible to run 120v on the lighting circuits) and also how this would affect any bulbs that I would want to use? I'd like to predominantly use LED dimmable lighting..

thanks in advance

2. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Highly likely that it will not function properly

3. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

Welcome to the forum mate.
    Seems like you are making thinks really complicated.
    What is the American product you are interested in and maybe someone could suggest a 240V version.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AJshep

AJshep Electrician's Arms

USA has alot of these smart light switches.
    There are a few different protocols available, on the entry level market you have 3 major ones here in the UK.
    Zigbee, Zwave, RF these are also available in the USA but they use a different frequency in I believe they use 902 to 928 MHz in Americas and Australia and 868 to 868.6 MHz (Europe) ISM bands.

Its illegal to use 902-928MHz devices in the UK which limits what devices you can buy, over here people tend to use Lightwave RF as its easy and works out of the box.

Personally I find them a bit flaky.
    You could always go for a more professional system.. Gira (lighting only), Loxone or KNX but the money more than doubles.
    Have a look at www.vesternet.com

5. DPG

DPG Respected Member

Don't run a 120v lighting circuit. Please don't. We will be disappointed in you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    he could get a set of 110V site festoon lights on some bright yellow cable.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. DPG

DPG Respected Member

I put 120V rather than 110V to see if George was on line. Is that wrong of me?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. GeorgeCooke

GeorgeCooke Regular EF Member

I somehow don't think his DNO will give him a 120v supply.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Cut the handles off and make it a coffee table/feature........

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 07.09.21.jpg

• Like Like x 1