Discuss Use Less Energy and Save the Earth in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I agree, Archy, this is pretty silly. If you listed appliances by actual annual energy consumption, I recon that infrequently used things like vacuum cleaners* would be right down at the bottom. The savings are going to be trivial, especially if you have to go over the same spot twice because of the reduced suck.

What next, limiting the power of kettles to 500W? :smilewinkgrin:

*No aspersions cast relating to Mrs HS's housekeeping!

Now, I think we all agree that we need to consume less energy, but come on!!!

BBC News - Ten days left to vacuum up a powerful cleaner

Probably save more energy getting rid of the producers of these directives.
Utter nonsense.
I'd like to say I'm astonished. But I'm not. Some of the carp they dream up is......the CA(R)P was about as daft as it gets.

Farmers and growers being paid a guaranteed price for producing far in excess of what the market could stand. Of course the producers kept getting paid to kept producing what they were getting paid to produce. Butter mountains, wine lakes.

And this stupidity went on for about two decades. Until the CAP bureaucrats decided a reversal of sorts was in order. Then producers were paid for NOT producing produce that didn't need to be produced.

You couldn't make it up. Except that they did.

I suppose it's obvious that I'm not the number one fan of the EU.......

I guess the jokes will come thick and fast.

I have a vacuum cleaner but it sucks.
I threw out the Hoover - it was just collecting dust....

The heat generated by the daily mail's rage at this will be enough to shut down 3 coal power stations for a month, very clever of you EU....

another good reason to get out of the eurine

Something else for me to have a rant about related to this topic....
Our electrical infrastructure is stretched to say the least.
Energy policy is a shambles.

Currently we get about 18% of our electrical energy from 16 nuclear reactors. All but one of those will taken out of service by 2023. Less than ten years from now. The parlous state of our supply is going to get worse.

Nuclear has been deeply unpopular. What gets remembered about Fukushima? That nuclear plant which resulted in no fatalities. Not the 20,000 who died as a result of the Tsunami and totally unrelated to the nuclear incident.

Not a vote vote winner. Particularly after Chernobyl in the Thatcher era. And the gestation period is longer than a government term in office so it would never be on an election manifesto. The government have moved and some new units will be in service. But I am less than sanguine about the prospects of averting rationing such as we had during the winter of discontent.

And a delicious bit of irony? France is largely nuclear, about 70% I think. Yet, we are currently importing 5.41% of our leccy from there.

Rant done.........for now.

wonder what dyson will say about the thousands of dyson vacuum cleaners that go in landfills because when they stop working, they're usually unrepairable and scrap. dyson will not even supply spare parts. i asked for a pair of carbon brushes ( as that was all that was wrong with ours.). sorry, sir, was their response, but we will sell you a new motor for £90 odd.

Astonishing that:

A. The EU have wasted millions on this

B. The BBC have written about it. (the BBC is so over bloated it need to go on a diet fast)

wonder what dyson will say about the thousands of dyson vacuum cleaners that go in landfills because when they stop working, they're usually unrepairable and scrap. dyson will not even supply spare parts. i asked for a pair of carbon brushes ( as that was all that was wrong with ours.). sorry, sir, was their response, but we will sell you a new motor for £90 odd.

I had a similar experience with a washing machine main motor. My children were young at the time, two of them still at the nappy stage so the machine regularly got a pretty serious workout.

It stopped working one day so, being a practical fellow, I had a look. Brushes.
So I went to one of our domestic appliance parts shops.
"Got brushes for this?"
"Sorry sir. It is beyond repair."
"Come again??"
"It is beyond repair." This time with the edge of impatience.
"OK. What do you suggest?"
"We can sell you a service exchange unit."
"So you'll sell me an exchange unit for mine?"
"Yes. It's £67."
"And you need mine in return?"
"Yes. That's how it works."
"Didn't you just say mine was beyond repair?"

At that point I was not an altogether happy bunny and I don't exactly remember what my response was. I don't imagine it was "Well, have a jolly nice day you joyful little ray sunshine."

We, the company, make DC motors so we had brushes. Just not the right size. So, I had to cut them down to fit - a messy business - but it did the job.

Just heard about the vacuum's on the radio,mind you the bloke on the radio could have phrased it better,"well we're all looking for something with a decent suck aren't we" you could visualise the switchboard going into meltdown with comlaints from the Mary Whitehouse types.lol

I agree, Archy, this is pretty silly. If you listed appliances by actual annual energy consumption, I recon that infrequently used things like vacuum cleaners* would be right down at the bottom. The savings are going to be trivial, especially if you have to go over the same spot twice because of the reduced suck.

What next, limiting the power of kettles to 500W? :smilewinkgrin:

*No aspersions cast relating to Mrs HS's housekeeping!

Oh there's nothing worse than a reduced suck.

Having just picked up an element for the worlds greasiest oven(rental not mine btw)
i spoke to the lad in the shop about this Hoover nonsense and he has managed to sell 6 meile hoovers at 200 a pop to a customer of his who has holiday lets
another load of media scaremongering stories out of hee haw
the lad said there is one manufacturer with 57 different type of hoovers in their range that are going to be put down to about 10!
the manufacturers will have to redesign their motors and pass the r&d costs onto the consumer as always
look at a cold fill washing machine compared to a hot and cold probably on for 2 hours compared to 40 mins.....aye progress after all.

Having just picked up an element for the worlds greasiest oven(rental not mine btw)
i spoke to the lad in the shop about this Hoover nonsense and he has managed to sell 6 meile hoovers at 200 a pop to a customer of his who has holiday lets
another load of media scaremongering stories out of hee haw
the lad said there is one manufacturer with 57 different type of hoovers in their range that are going to be put down to about 10!
the manufacturers will have to redesign their motors and pass the r&d costs onto the consumer as always
look at a cold fill washing machine compared to a hot and cold probably on for 2 hours compared to 40 mins.....aye progress after all.

I totally agree.

My washing machine is both hot & cold fill and I have a gas tumble dryer.

Holly carp ....... I'm beginning to sound like a trappy housewife!! Forgive me Father for I have sinned.

gas tumble dryer? how does the motor turn the drum? catherine wheels?

Reply to Use Less Energy and Save the Earth in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net