Discuss Use neutral as switched live in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi:

I have 5 lights in the ceiling in my living room. Currently all 5 go to a single box in the attic with some home automation dimmers in the box, and there is a single power in to that box. 6 wires to the box.

I want to remove the 5 dimmers in the box, and replace with 5 lights switches in a nearby wall using a standard 5 gang, cut in, wall box.

So, essentially, I need 6 conductors (plus ground) from the 5 gang box to the attic box. 5 light conductors, 1 neutral, and 1 ground.

If I properly paint one of the neutrals, can I use 2ea. 14/3 romex from box to box and use the neutral wire in one of the romex as a switched live wire?

This will save a lot in cost of wire.

Thanks, Mark.

Reply to Use neutral as switched live in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Recently moved into a house from the 70s. There's no ceiling light in the living room. Assuming the switch for the room was to one of the outlets...
Replies
Views
Hi I've been planning to fit an outdoor junction box at the front of my house to hide a large brickwork hole and properly house the wiring...
Replies
Views
Howdy DIY soldiers, first post here. My question comes down to whether it would be particularly unsafe for me to temporarily wire nut and tape a...
Replies
Views
Hi I want to add a light to my attic. There is a single switch on the landing that I want to change to a double switch and then use it to still...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to install 3 meross smart switches for 3 lights: entrance switch: only 1 gang but 3 way switch bedroom switch: 2 gang (1 is 1...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock