• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Use of 20AX switches in spurs off ring main in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I bought a number of 20AX grid switches with printed labels on them e.g. washing machine. These were to put an isolator above the work top for a 13A switched socket under the work top in the utility room. Electrician says no as the spur will be off a 32A ring the switch must be capable of the ring rating not the spur (single 2.5mm2 T+E). I can almost see his point but most suppliers have a range of printed 20AX but none for 32A so you end up with an unlabelled switch or a stuck on label which is not great. Any views on this? Thanks.

So what does your electrician want? 20AX gridswitch into a fused grid module to protect the spur?

What you have described is fitted in millions of homes across the uk.
Its just like having a spur off a ring, which is perfectly acceptable and within regs - (as long as its only to one point), but the spur has an isolation switch.
The only reason to have a fused spur is if theres more than one point served from the spur, ie a radial circuit off a ring

I bought a number of 20AX grid switches with printed labels on them e.g. washing machine. These were to put an isolator above the work top for a 13A switched socket under the work top in the utility room.

Why? There is no requirement for isolators above the worktop, and they look so ugly.
Also why 13a switched socket as well as an isolator, surely an unswitched socket is better if you have isolators?

The best isolation is pulling the plug. If there is a fault you will need to move the machines anyway so pulling the plug is easy.

If an appliance is difficult to get out or is part of an inbuilt system then there should be a local means of isolation, this is not just for the electrical trade but others who are not so aware of the risks, the extent to this is ambiguous but with built in cookers, fridges etc it is recommended so any fault or concern electrically mean it can be safely isolated locally before removal by other trades, as an example of those not in the know how like plumbers.

"Oh no! Theres a strong burning smell coming from my washing machine.... What do I do?!!?"
"Quick, turn off the power... theres a switch marked washing machine"
"OK, got it.... Wow, that was so easy"

OR

"Oh no! Theres a strong burning smell coming from my washing machine.... What do I do?!!?"
"Quick, turn off the power... Uhhhh…. no switch? … Wheres the consumer unit!"
"Um... Its under the stairs.... behind the bucket... its in a little cupboard... You have to wiggle the latch to get the door open.. Its not got little flicky switches... just pull the fuse"
"Yeh… I think I got it.. which fuse?! Nothings marked!"
"I dunno!.... Oh no... flames!.."

Isolation switches;- Not a requirement, but damn convenient in a crisis.

Re the argument about above worktop isolators; a lot of my customers didn't like them, so a socket in an adjoining cupboard is sufficient.

Re the OP's question; App 15 is the informative guide to spurs off RFC. Would a 20A DP switch, followed by a 13A socket could be construed as more than outlet? Done it loads myself, but perhaps thats his sparks thinking.

It is not a requirement or really necessary as isolation can and should be done at the CU. Local isolators are not fitted in other countries and they don't have any problems.
Sorry but that’s not correct. They are required by Scottish Building Standards, so the statement isn’t actually correct.

Mandatory Standard 4
4.8.5 Access to manual controls

...Where sockets are concealed, such as to the rear of white goods in a kitchen, separate switching should be provided in an accessible position to allow appliances to be isolated.

Fixtures (sockets/switches) etc should be acted at lease 150mm above he worktop. (I've paraphrased that whole paragraph).

I appreciate you don’t have to fit them in England and Wales as far as I know? Either way it’s good practice for emergencies. I think little sparks comments are very pertinent. Do you not fit shower isolator switches in bathrooms or oven isolators in kitchens then?

To the op - if your electrician has an issue with the switches and the supply cable to the load not being protected why no incorporate a FCU module into the grid switch?

It is not a requirement or really necessary as isolation can and should be done at the CU. Local isolators are not fitted in other countries and they don't have any problems.
I can list you an entire manual of what they don't do in other countries as that is not really a strong argument to back your position, the reason I didn't specify a regulation is because there is no direct reference to one in the BS7671 although there is indirect regulations like following manufacturers guidelines which in reference to built in and heavy electrical appliances do recommend they are isolated before been removed be it or maintenance and replacement etc.
I do not understand your position in this debate tbh, if this is anything else in any other industry then you would need to disconnect supply before moving a machine/appliance yet you are taking the angle that this can be ignored in the realms of the domestic install.
When I was house-bashing some 20yrs ago we added a local means of isolation for large or heavy appliances if the outlet was not readily accessible and always if built in, to think you are arguing the opposite case some 2 decades later is worrying to be honest.
Following manufacturers guidelines is set into the BS7671 and has been for a while now so one should be designing install to account for the possiblilty that an appliance (if not already on site) may recommend a remote means of isolation.

Here is one of plenty of references to back up my angle on this http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Builders/Prod...uidanceDocuments/81/filedownload,65384,en.pdf

@Midwest
I agree but the BS7671 then added a regulation to follow manufacturers guidelines which swung the debate from a personal choice to a recommended practice, since we don't always know what will be fitted in a unit or space then one needs to take the route of possible recommendation of the manufacturer once the appliance is bought, as for the inbuilt appliances then personally I take the view they should always have local accessible means of isolation as it can be the case that flexes get trapped under the appliance and make removing them while powered a potential for damaging the flex and also the risk of them dropping or falling over/down while been removed is also a reason to ensure they are isolated first, you shouldn't expect non trade people to start isolating full circuits to achieve this.

@Midwest
I agree but the BS7671 then added a regulation to follow manufacturers guidelines which swung the debate from a personal choice to a recommended practice, since we don't always know what will be fitted in a unit or space then one needs to take the route of possible recommendation of the manufacturer once the appliance is bought, as for the inbuilt appliances then personally I take the view they should always have local accessible means of isolation as it can be the case that flexes get trapped under the appliance and make removing them while powered a potential for damaging the flex and also the risk of them dropping or falling over/down while been removed is also a reason to ensure they are isolated first, you shouldn't expect non trade people to start isolating full circuits to achieve this.

Easy tiger, was just saying. I prefer the socket in adjacent cupboard combo me self.

I would just add, that if you have a socket circuit with a fault, causing an RCD to trip for example, it is really handy to be able to switch off every appliance with a DP switch, to eliminate it.

Much easier than telling the customer they have to pull all the appliances out to get at the plugs.

Reply to Use of 20AX switches in spurs off ring main in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back