Discuss Van crime twitter page in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Been sent a link to a good twitter page with images and posts on the now van crime epidemic. Doubt the politicians will change the law to really deter these crooks anytime soon.

Useful place to look and identify the scum who steal our tools and damage our vans.
Vans Under Attack (@VansAttack) | Twitter - https://twitter.com/VansAttack
Also come across this little addition to protect your side doors from being peeled.
Vangarde Van Security System - http://www.outsideinlocktools.co.uk/vangarde_van_security.htm

Scary having a flick through that twitter page.

I'm thinking when I get a van, I'm going to invest in some of those tool vaults and bolt them into the van framing with some good solid steel plates for added strength around the fixings.

And as for those tool vendors at the car boots... there's no way they're legit.

Does anyone have any advice for marking tools? Years ago, UV pens were the thing. I know Smartwater is available, but anyone have any experience with it or similar products?

soldering iron to etch name or post code is one way. even though my tools are insured with my PL insurance, and i live in a low crime area , i have CCTV covering van and take all tools off at night. mrs. tel thinks i'm paranoid, but at least my stuff is available for work next day.

Its all very well putting your tools into steel boxes inside the van but the damage they do peeling the doors would cost more than the tools to put right.
Every night i back my van right up to the garage doors and the sliding door side is also tight to the wall.The only door that's exposed is the drivers door but there is a bulkhead between the front and the back.I also have a pir flood light over the van and my gate post has moved a bit and i have to slam the gate to shut it.Upon opening the gate it makes a right noise so i haven't bothered repairing it as it acts as a early warning sound!
I agree that anyone who targets vans are the scum of the earth.

Its all very well putting your tools into steel boxes inside the van but the damage they do peeling the doors would cost more than the tools to put right.
Every night i back my van right up to the garage doors and the sliding door side is also tight to the wall.The only door that's exposed is the drivers door but there is a bulkhead between the front and the back.I also have a pir flood light over the van and my gate post has moved a bit and i have to slam the gate to shut it.Upon opening the gate it makes a right noise so i haven't bothered repairing it as it acts as a early warning sound!
I agree that anyone who targets vans are the scum of the earth.

Leave it in reverse too to make it difficult for them .
A friend of mine used to back his van up to his shed doors where he kept his machines, they cut the handbrake cables and pushed it forward .

Reply to Van crime twitter page in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net