Discuss ventilation problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi lads

Got a phone call today, customer wanting extract fan fitted to replace existing duct in bathroom to give it a boost. this is a a fairly new block of flats which has a communal ventilation system in place but supposedly not working very well according to customer. I recommended new extract fan ducted outside but supposedly alot of work to get to a outside wall and they just want a fan fitted to existing duct. Any better suggestions?

You shouldn't pressurise into a communal duct, you should suck from the far end only. If you install a fan in one flat you could create a health issue for the other flats.

As mentioned above, get the landlord to fix the main fan or balance the system properly.

The balance of the system is the most likely culprit. Balancing a system is a juggling act and needs access to each extract point and an anemometer meter. Martindale do one at about £130.
As Marvo said you should not pressurise the system for health reasons.

Have fun! I know I have on big industrial systems, I’ve got long hair and a beard, I used to come back looking like Wurzel Gummage. Funny how it was always me that got lumbered with the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sound advice as usual by Marvo and Tony.
You could inform Building Control that you believe the ventilation system is below that currently required under Approved Document F, they may not take any action, however you will have discharged your duty of care.
If there is a health issue (e.g. black-mould) then your client should report this to the local authority's Environmental Health department, who will probably carry out any testing and reporting required. If there is found to be a case to answer, they will issue the landlord with a enforcement notice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to ventilation problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net