Discuss very high r1 result! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon all..

I have just been testing a ring final circuit and got r1 = 107Ω

It is TNCS, rN is 0.4Ω

I'm sorry I haven't got anymore results for you, I'm nowhere near home at the moment and those are the only 2 results I can remember.

This is on a kitchen ring and the Kitchen is being ripped out over the next week and I shall be reinstalling a ring in the new kitchen. This will be a good time to find any fault but...

My question is what could give this kind or result? 107 is huge! I initially thought loose connection, but even if the conductor was just brushing the socket terminal I would have thought it would be far lower than that?

Thanks..

Last edited:
how could appliances affect the r1?

Usually, for an intact ring, appliances connected wouldn't affect the result by enough to matter. However, if the line is broken, the measurement could well be via two (or more) appliances, if left plugged in and switched on. Part of the neutral conductor would be 'bypassing' the break in the line conductor, using the appliances to bridge line to neutral. Given the measurement of 107ohms for r1, this seems quite possible.

So the path could be: line (part) - load 1 - neutral (part) - load 2 - line (part)

Obviously, the measurement value would depend on the resistances of the loads in circuit.

My guess is the same as HandySparks, the L is broken somewhere, and you are measuring connected loads.

so how would the load resistance get from the load neutral back to the other L leg of the rfc? (always assuming that the N legs are dissed from the DB as they should be when measuring r1,rN, r2).

Usually, for an intact ring, appliances connected wouldn't affect the result by enough to matter. However, if the line is broken, the measurement could well be via two (or more) appliances, if left plugged in and switched on. Part of the neutral conductor would be 'bypassing' the break in the line conductor, using the appliances to bridge line to neutral. Given the measurement of 107ohms for r1, this seems quite possible.

So the path could be: line (part) - load 1 - neutral (part) - load 2 - line (part)

Obviously, the measurement value would depend on the resistances of the loads in circuit.

Yep,same test,loads disconnected,will answer that :icon12:

so how would the load resistance get from the load neutral back to the other L leg of the rfc? (always assuming that the N legs are dissed from the DB as they should be when measuring r1,rN, r2).

It would put the 2 appliances (at least) in series across L-L to bridge the open circuit. It would require at least one appliance plugged in and switched on at either side of the break / High res termination

Come across a few like that and the problem has been at the mcb, where one of the two cables has been put the wrong side of the little termination clamp.
cable ends would be out of the mcb for testing r1. nice try though.

Reply to very high r1 result! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net