Discuss Virgin media in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

docs

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on running some cabling for virgin media.

I'm in the first fix stage with a client who is renovating his lounge, kitchen and diner. It's all a bit last minute which is a pain for me. Basically he wants another box in his dining room to watch the footy while the kids and misses are in the lounge. His super hub and TiVo box is in the front room. Now as its not really something I know much about I told him to get hold of virgin to sort out and I'll chase in the cables etc. Now my problem is the plasterer is booked in for the 9th of November but virgin can't get there till the 10th.... Is there anything I can do to get it wrapped up before the plasterer is in ?

The rooms are right next to each other and ceiling is open at the minute.

Cheers

What cable are we talking ? The ceiling is being shut up so the cable needs to be in place before hand. Then obviously chased in and put in oval tube etc. All he wants is to watch a programme in the dining room whilst his family is in the lounge watching something else. If that requires another box then fine.

you have to run a single RG59 or CT100 coaxial cable from the existing point to new point where client have to have other television.. just that..if client like to have a new box in new point he can split mail virgin cable to existing point and to new point..if the client like to see same program from the existing he can connect this cable to the output of virgin box..

for moment just run this specific cable and wait for virgin engineer..

Last edited:
I'd check beforehand if they'd allow this. I have seen before on their support forums that engineers have refused to to connect to cable not installed by them.

I'd check beforehand if they'd allow this. I have seen before on their support forums that engineers have refused to to connect to cable not installed by them.

I think it depends on how much tea you make the engineer. Ive had them at my house before and more than happy to use cable I've run when they changed the box for a TiVo one. They don't seem too bothered at all unless you have been messing about with their kit.

I think it depends on how much tea you make the engineer. Ive had them at my house before and more than happy to use cable I've run when they changed the box for a TiVo one. They don't seem too bothered at all unless you have been messing about with their kit.

Oh really. I rang Virgin my self and they weren't to helpful to be Honest. He did say though that I could run a Ethernet cable from the super hub to where the new box is going then my client would have to download there app for t.v anywhere. And that he could watch something completely different at the same time the rest of the fa,ily are watching something. All I can do is run it in. If it isn't good enough there have to do what ever and I'll tackle it after there done.

Oh really. I rang Virgin my self and they weren't to helpful to be Honest. He did say though that I could run a Ethernet cable from the super hub to where the new box is going then my client would have to download there app for t.v anywhere. And that he could watch something completely different at the same time the rest of the fa,ily are watching something. All I can do is run it in. If it isn't good enough there have to do what ever and I'll tackle it after there done.
ignore the call centre lackeys.

the guys on the ground will be happy to accept anything that makes there life easier.

pull in two cat5/6 in that way they can do hdmi over Ethernet if they want to watch the same thing or use the proper cable for two seperate boxes etc

Reply to Virgin media in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net