Discuss VOL O-L on Megger 1720 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all - when testing ring final continuity in a small shop the other day my Megger 1720 wouldn't carry out the test and displayed "VOL O-L" on the L and N legs (CPC was OK). I believe this message is due voltage present on the cables....MCB was off. When switching the board off at the main switch the circuit was reading open on both legs.

Obviously I have a discontinuous ring that would need investigating...but usually the meter will just read >999 and not VOL O-L.....so my question is, is the VOL O-L error due to induced current from adjacent circuits or is there likely to be something else going on here?

Many thanks - Bill

Hi all - when testing ring final continuity in a small shop the other day my Megger 1720 wouldn't carry out the test and displayed "VOL O-L" on the L and N legs (CPC was OK). I believe this message is due voltage present on the cables....MCB was off. When switching the board off at the main switch the circuit was reading open on both legs.

Obviously I have a discontinuous ring that would need investigating...but usually the meter will just read >999 and not VOL O-L.....so my question is, is the VOL O-L error due to induced current from adjacent circuits or is there likely to be something else going on here?

Many thanks - Bill

Just checked the manual on google VOL-O-L is voltage overload

It is a safety element on your Megger which stops you testing further you will have to find out why and how much voltage is present and eliminate it before yo can continue,

You will get the same when IR testing im affraid

Hi Bill, I've had this a few times on my 1730. I think you'll find it may be phantom/induced voltages, being sensed by your MFT, IMO. The MFT reacts to these voltages with different error messages, depending on the test being carried out, in my experience. As you've said, when you've isolated the whole installation, the MFT carries out the test.
The only way to be sure, is testing the circuit for voltage with an analogue tester, or meter not affected by phantom voltages.
I’ve found Megger technical quite helpful, to explain the error codes the MFT displays, as the manual is a bit unclear. I have the name of a particularly helpful guy, on another PC. I’ll PM you’re his details in acouple of days.

Last edited:

Reply to VOL O-L on Megger 1720 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net