Discuss voltage drop calculation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chance1111

i want to know the formula for voltage drop calculation for 3 core x50mm2 hv cable feeding 1000kva transformer 13.8kv. the cable is xlpe ,armored..it is connected from Ring main unit

sorry, if you don'tknow that, then how do you think you can work out the volt drop.

Chance we spend years learning our trade, we need you to show us your calcs for volts drop then we will tell you if correct or not, we dont run a free design service, you should have a copy of the 17th regs we will tell you where to find the relevent data but calculating volts drop is a basic any electrician should know, this shows us you are not and simply giving you the answer could be risky as many other factors regarding the install need to be considered not just volts drop.
We need to know you are experienced enough to use the results correctly i conjunction with all the other calculation you would require to confirm said cable is the correct size.

To note also chance1111 this is a UK based forum and you show your location as Saudi Arabia thus possible subject to different Volts drop tolerences and regulations on cable installs, you need to seek this advice from an electrician from your area as the advice we give may not comply within your country.
In your profile you say you are an electrician but asking such a question then not understanding the answer you were given would suggest you fall far short of what is required in the UK to be able to hold that title, seriously if you are an electrician i would consider getting further education before you make a potentially dangerous mistake.

It might sound harsh but property and lives are at risk if you are unaware how to do calcs that should be the key to any electrical design.

Last edited:
Not a please or a thank you, just "I want".

At least he didn't specify a time for the answer as several have done on CR4. They don't get very far either.

perhaps macolm could pop over and do his sums for him. :6:

Go on internatinal sites, it gets much worse

If anyone sorts out an answer for this gets a thanks.

Ring Main Unit
Attention for Electrical engineer who Developed/Designed Electrical Infrastructure for Integrated township Development.
Dear guru Let us consider,From local electricity board we are getting power for our Development. According to the local Electricity rules upto certain demand load,The Electricity board giving 11kV or 66kV or 110kV line respectively.If suppose we are in need of 110 kV(Local electricity board) because of more demanded load in our Development.From local electricity board they will give 2 nos of 110 kV power line for Receiving station (which will be designed and developed by Electricity board in the place of our Development).RMU can be connected for 110kV voltage level .Likewise can we maintain that RMU scheme in 11kV voltage level?.If yes send me the scheme.
Note: I have a diagram which having RMU scheme only in 110 kV line not in 11kV line

Last edited by a moderator:
bloody 'ell. sunday mornings will never be the same again.

solution. bang the 110kV into a 5-1 transformer. hornby do a nice one fot the pre-war train sets. then split the 22kV into 2 supplies of 11kV each. sssimpless.

My brain got jumbled reading that lot,all I got was the end line causing images of transformers to appear in my mind
icon7.png

Reply to voltage drop calculation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net