Discuss Voltage Help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Marky83

Hello,

Im new to this website and would be grateful of any advice.

Im a fully qualified electrician and got called to an early 1800's property this week to attend a socket that didnt work, well at least thats what i was told over the phone. Infact once i got there, the customer had 3 sockets not working. After a visual inspection and checking the sockets are fully functional i proceeded to test the circuit as they proved to be sound. Now i tested through live-earth and got 240V neutral-earth and got 0V but live-neutral i got 216V to the reason why the RCD trips out once there is a load on it.

There is an upstairs and downstairs ring circuit so i tried the voltage at the fuse board and on the other sockets round the house (including the ones on the same circuit) and all possible outlets and circuits came up L-E 240V N-E 0V and L-N 240V. As you can imagine i have tried everything possible i could think of at the time so if anybody can shed some light on this situation or if anybody has been in a similar situation, i would be very grateful of any help.

P.S I was meant to add in there, the property had a full rewire in 2003

Cheers

Marky83

Welcome aboard
You're a qualified spark and you can't figure out why a circuit trips when you put a load on it and the only thing you can think of to check is voltage?
Interesting

get your tester out mate and start with the basics.

also ask if any work has been carried out recently on property, picture hanging, floor laying etc etc

Yes i've tested the circuit and all appears sound and there has been no other work carried out on the circuit or on anything else around it

OK lets have all the results test by test mate. There might be something you've missed because you've been at it too long.

if you have 240 l-e but 216 l-n and it trips rcd when you apply a load then there are only a limited number of possibilities,the most obvious being a loss of neutral,there has to have been recent work done or something gone through a cable.

Well this is what i said to the customer however they seem adament they have had no work done. I totally agree with what your saying about a loss of neutral and obviously its just finding it. Cheers

if you did a continuity test on the neutral i think you would find it incomplete,now if you had a break in the neutral at 2 points and one of them was earthed this would cause the problem you describe,as a thought the faulty sockets are not on a radial are they?

Are saying you carried the full ring main dead tests in the correct order and nothing is showing up as being wrong ? as that dont seem right m8? also are these sockets part of the ring or a radial ?

I'd agree with the loss of neutral could be something as simple as a floor board nail worn though a cable over time. Doesn't sound like a ring to me if you are actually getting a circuit at the fuse board it's probably due to somebody adding a socket where they shouldn't. Just check socket to socket and figure out which cable feeds what shouldn't be to hard to find.

Reply to Voltage Help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net