Discuss Wago 224 Use On Under Floor Heating Mat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Would it be acceptable to use Wago 224 connectors to join a cable that powers an underfloor heating mat that has been damaged?

The mat is powered via a thermostat that is connected to a fused connection unit fitted with a 13 amp fuse.

The wire feeding the mat is 1.0mm2.

I see Wago call the 224 a "lighting" connector so was unsure if this use case as acceptable as it is not for lighting?

Seeing as the connector is rated for 24 amps I should be well within the rating of the connector?

Fuse sounds to be over rated, what is the operating range of the MCB and is it RCD protected? if indeed you have them in the DB.

The reason the 224 is called a lighting connector is because one side is a push fit for solid core and the other side is a clamp for multi strand.

solder and heat shrink would be my choice.

:Fuse sounds to be over rated, what is the operating range of the MCB and is it RCD protected? if indeed you have them in the DB.

most ufh mats are 150 -200 watts /sq.m. so a >5sq. m mat would be c> 1kW, so a 13A fuse is the norm. obviously the manufactrurers consider the the tails on the mat are suitable for the load.

Fuse sounds to be over rated, what is the operating range of the MCB and is it RCD protected? if indeed you have them in the DB.

The reason the 224 is called a lighting connector is because one side is a push fit for solid core and the other side is a clamp for multi strand.

The thermostat manufacturers instructions say to use a 13 amp fuse so I just did what they say.

So If I ferrule the wire that goes into the side of the connector that is intended for the solid conductors I should be good?

Yes it is RCD protected, the fused connection unit it spured off a socket which is connected to the consumer unit which has RCD protection.

solder and heat shrink would be my choice.

:Fuse sounds to be over rated, what is the operating range of the MCB and is it RCD protected? if indeed you have them in the DB.

most ufh mats are 150 -200 watts /sq.m. so a >5sq. m mat would be c> 1kW, so a 13A fuse is the norm. obviously the manufactrurers consider the the tails on the mat are suitable for the load.

I did think about soldering but it is in a pretty awkward spot in terms of access, I was going to use Wago 221's but they are not inline & I do not have much cable coming out of the floor to play with.

Last edited:
The thermostat manufacturers instructions say to use a 13 amp fuse so I just did what they say.

So If I ferrule the wire that goes into the side of the connector that is intended for the solid conductors I should be good?

Yes it is RCD protected, the fused connection unit it spured off a socket which is connected to the consumer unit which has RCD protection.

I did think about soldering but it is in a pretty awkward spot in terms of access, I was going to use Wago 221's but they are not inline & I do not have much cable coming out of the floor to play with.
you won't be able to get fire stranded cable in the hole for solid, ferruled or not. Mike's post above is an easy solution, but heat shrink over.

Reply to Wago 224 Use On Under Floor Heating Mat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net