Discuss Wago - accessible? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

seawead

Hello, first post here. Quick question does anyone know if Wago boxes need to be accessible? Searched the forum and nothing conclusive but posts were quite old. Wago say they're 'maintenance free' but does that count for anything? Inside it is essentially a crimp. Interested to know if anyone has discussed on annual assessment etc. Ta Dave

They can be classed as MF in certain circumstances but a derating factor needs to be applied. There's quite a few discussions on the forum about this if you search.

I'd rather use the Hager J80xx JB's than Wagos if the JB isn't going to be accessible..... mainly because the cables are firmly fixed as are the connections.

some of the wago stuff is MF. it is printed on the enclosure if it is. Just bought a load, along with the 3 way lever connectors, life saver if you have a load of downlighters to do! save so much time!

the push wire connectors '773 series' i think they're called inside the wago jb. been using them for switching d/lights. also brings up the argument as to whether the jb being under an easily lifted floorboard is 'accessible'

the push wire connectors '773 series' i think they're called inside the wago jb. been using them for switching d/lights. also brings up the argument as to whether the jb being under an easily lifted floorboard is 'accessible'

It isn't. You need tools to lift a floorboard, and also what about the carpet or worse still laminate flooring that is put over the boards? What if underfloor heating mats are put on top of that area?

you might find this useful, literally googled "what classes as maintenance free junction box under flooboards" and this came up. its from the IET.sorry couldn't figure out how to attach actual PDF but here is the direct link: PDF

Attachments

• 2012_42_spring_wiring_matters_Maintenance_free_junction_boxes.pdf
    826 KB · Views: 37

No argument, under floor boards is NOT accessible, simples

Murdoch agreed but a screwed down board in a non carpeted room is as accessible as a bit of ply over main incoming supply which I see quite a lot but I suppose that's inaccessible too

Personally, if I am extending/replacing a single cable then I prefer to crimp, but the MF JBs come into their own when you need to join three of more together, i.e. lighting or (tut tut) spurring off a ring.

Murdoch agreed but a screwed down board in a non carpeted room is as accessible as a bit of ply over main incoming supply which I see quite a lot but I suppose that's inaccessible too

Yes BUT, the next day they could lay lino or tiles.... so under floorboards is INACCESSIBLE, unless there is a cellar without a ceiling.

If the area was not carpeted, such as a cupboard, you would still need a loose board that was marked with a durable notice indicating the joint. And it still wouldn't be great.
That's my opinion

Had a problem with this recently. Re-wired a priests house where he didn't want the walls chased to replace the old t&e switch drops. Trunking was also not an option so the only solution was to IR test the switch cables and extend them under the floors using MF hager boxes as they had been jb'd before in a right mess. I then placed a plan inside the fusebox identifying where they were located. Not ideal on a rewire but complied all the same.

Reply to Wago - accessible? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net