Discuss wagoboxes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davek

Hi all
I have a light fitting tat will not go over a standard ceiling rose, I as thinking if putting a recessed round back box in the plasterboard and using wago connectors never used before. hen using th mounting fixtures to but the bracket on to mount the light. what's your thoughts on this as will be part o my part p assessment.
Regards
Dave

wagos can be enclosed by the light fitting itself. no need for a wagobox. use lever wagos.

ok cheers my thoughts on the round patress box was it a metal fiting and is loop in to next light so 3 t&e plus light wires

OK, so you need a 3 port wago for perm L. a 3 port wago for N. and a 2 port wago for S/L to lamp L. and a 3 port for cpc's.use lever wagos as they will accept flex. basically you are using each wago as a single terminal choc block.

wago.jpeg
bear in mind that this will take 3 x L's or 3 x N's etc. don't make the mistake of thinking it's L,N.E or you'll get a big bang.

bear in mind that this will take 3 x L's or 3 x N's etc. don't make the mistake of thinking it's L,N.E or you'll get a big bang.

Reminds me of all the times I've had to go round clearing up after the plasterers have been removing and refitting pendants. "Shove all the reds together in one and all the blacks together in the other lads!"

might need a 5 port for the cpc's. ( 3 cables + fitting cpc).

Reminds me of all the times I've had to go round clearing up after the plasterers have been removing and refitting pendants. "Shove all the reds together in one and all the blacks together in the other lads!"

Ah that used to be my bread and butter £30 a go
Get the call someones bought a new light, put it up and it has gone bang
Get the red tape (yep red ) and the fuse wire card and we are good to go !!

Quicker to install.....both push fit and levers.....no messing around with multiple cores at screw terminals. Wagoboxes have integral cable clamp / strain relief.

Been using them for couple years now a god send . I use the din rail connectors in their large din rail encloser to extend cables when doing cu changes. Get direct from wagobox

Ok might give them ago this week got 10 spots to do in a kitchen I gather they'll be a bit dearer than jbs though

Dearer but better. You'll never go back to JB's! Wago would send out small sample packs if you registered on their website. Dunno whether this is still the case. Probably too late anyhow, seeing as your install is this week.

- - - Updated - - -

A standard jb pushed through a downlight hole would not be compliant anyway.

Now who on earth would dream of doing that?

Ok might give them ago this week got 10 spots to do in a kitchen I gather they'll be a bit dearer than jbs though

Hager/Ashley 4 pole 20A JB = £1.20
Wagobox slim @ £1 + 3 x 224 lighting connectors @ 10p each = £1.30

Hourly rate - £50 (example)

Time taken to wire JB = 10mins @ £8.34
Time taken to wire Wagobox = 3mins @ £2.50

10 x JBs + 100mins labour = £95.40
10 x Wagobox slims + 30mins labour = £38.00

Of course the installation times will vary between electricians, as will the hourly rate, but connecting cables with Wagos will be at the very least 200% faster than using a standard JB. The actual material cost will be 8-9% higher than if you used JBs but the overall cost accrued by you will be far less.

Brought at the right time (offers etc) can work out comparable. I tend to bulk buy them every few months to keep the cost down.

A pair of ck auto strippers compliment them as you get a nice uniform cut length.

You know what I would like, that's 4 port wago lever connectors, the amount of times I need them, It's a shame they don't make them, you could fit a 4 and a 2 port on top of each other in a wago box, the 5 ports, rarely use them and they take up too much space in the box.

Having said that, I cannot knock the quality of wago products, they are top notch!

I just put two extra down lights in for someone tonight, I used a few wagos, and tomorrow I have 8 more to fit so, yet again more wagos!

Last edited:
I like Wagos, been using them 20+ years, used to bring them back from Germany in my suitcase. But I'm not so keen on Wagoboxes. I don't normally work with T+E anyway so most of my connections live in conduit boxes, but the thing I don't like with the Wagobox layout is that there's no room for slack. Always prefer to take cable in, turn back on itself and then joint. Less stress on the terminals, retermination easier too. But the Wagobox concept is good anyhow.

Reply to wagoboxes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net