Discuss waterproof crimp spade connectors with IP56 rating? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mascip

Hi, I don't manage to find crimp connectors (spade, bullet, etc) with a stated IP rating. Do they exist, and if yes where do you find them?

I'm thinking of using IP56 spade connectors for a tunnel light on a narrow boat.

What voltage are we talking here?

Any chance of a pic upload as it would save a thousand questions....

Last edited:
It's a 12V system. I won't be on the boat until Friday, so cannot take pictures right now.

I guess my question is also general: whenever I need to connect something outside of the boat (always 12V), and need to use a spade connector, then how can I achieve IP56 rating? I was hoping for some crimp connectors that would do that. For example I found IP67 butt solder connectors if I need to connect wires (I don't know whether I'm allowed to share a link here or not, as it's in an online shop): it's cheaper than a box and easier to install. I was wondering whether something similar exists for spade connectors.

I don't think it would be physically possible to waterproof a spade connection other than heat shrink over the cable entry and packing the spade with Vaseline or simillar

That makes sense: there are two parts to the connection.

For the heat shrink part, I haven't found any IP67 heat shrink, nor IP56. So I guess my quest is hopeless. I could use glue lined heat shrink, which will hopefully make it dustproof, and perhaps provide some water protection. Better than nothing.

Oh!!! By being stubborn and doing more research online, I found this document: http://www.tnb.com/pubint/docs/shrinkkon_eu.pdf
It seems to indicate that most heat shrink tubing provides IP60 (dust proof), and that some with thermoplastic lining provide IP65 or IP67.

Good, being stubborn! Now I need to find where to actually buy these...

That makes sense: there are two parts to the connection.

For the heat shrink part, I haven't found any IP67 heat shrink, nor IP56. So I guess my quest is hopeless. I could use glue lined heat shrink, which will hopefully make it dustproof, and perhaps provide some water protection. Better than nothing.

Oh!!! By being stubborn and doing more research online, I found this document: http://www.tnb.com/pubint/docs/shrinkkon_eu.pdf
It seems to indicate that most heat shrink tubing provides IP60 (dust proof), and that some with thermoplastic lining provide IP65 or IP67.

Good, being stubborn! Now I need to find where to actually buy these...

Heatshrink can't be given an IP rating because as a product it is just a hollow plastic tube!
However it can be used to achieve a degree of waterproofing in making electrical connections.
I'm assuming that what you want is to make a connection waterproof, not develop a product and have it tested to meet a specific IP rating.

Whilst on the subject of heat shrink.. What heat gun is recommended?
I remember using these on for shrinking joint boots on wiring looms years ago..
The guns we used then had a curved reflector to dissipate the hot air all around the subject.

Thank you for all the comments.

Agreed: heat shrink tubing in itself doesn't have an IP rating. But apparently (according to the link above), when applied correctly it does achieve an IP rating. Some of them of IP67, which is more than what I want. I just hadn't found this information before.

I will start using more glue lined heat shrink tubing :)

Make sure you are also using a decent Crimp Tool as well.

If it's 12v can't you just use a scotchlok type connector. The type that are filled with the silicon gel are meant for automotice and ELV marine applications

41Zyhwyw51L._SX425_.jpg

Reply to waterproof crimp spade connectors with IP56 rating? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net