Discuss Weather Proof Tap in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

adam_r

Hi guys I'm looking for a good, permanent, weatherproof tap for wiring. Don't like the T-Connectors i think they are pap but not sure of any other ways of a proper weather proof connection?

All depends on how much trouble you want to go to. Tee-tap,piggy-back lucar,or 2-1 on a butt,all with a wrap of self amalgamating tape/heatshrink have their place. There are heatshrink tees which can be manipulated after soldering. If it is in an area where "environmental influences" are a worry (weather) then consider a way of NOT having a joint in that area. You can usually tap off the required circuit and/or ground,from either termination or source of particular cable. Just hanging an additional feed off the nearest suitable cable is not a recipe for longevity. The last thing you want during your evening out-of-town retail car-park doughnut burn-out extravaganza...is the under-cill turquoise leds' going out...chow:stooge_curly:

I like the idea of keeping joints in areas where the weather won't get to them.
But sadly I can't put this in to practice on my own vehicle, it's a landrover so the weather gets everywhere outside and in.

I know that brand pretty well...if it's a series 1,11,11a,3,forward control,series1 disco,rangerover to mid eighties or similar,you can chose any of the above methods as regular "tinkering" will be second nature...If on later or new models,then use cellotape and vaseline for insulating your taps,this can be re-done once a month,or every time it breaks down...:bow:

Mine is a 1998 defender 300tdi in that fetching shade of metallic vomit they used for the 50th anniversary specials.

And the other one isn't really worth mentioning as it is a bit of an embarrassment to the green oval. (FL1, td4)

Mmmm 1998 is just at the crest of the marques descent,has yours got the rear air bags? If i had to go across the Gobi desert,and just couldn't find a favoured Japanese model.i would choose a 200...head-gasket recently done,of course! :stooge_curly:

As far as I know airbags have never been fitted to defenders, they've always been coilsprings all round.

I'd go 300tdi over the 200tdi personally, but only cos I know them much better.
I didn't know the 200 had HG issues?

Reply to Weather Proof Tap in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net