Discuss Went to quote an Inspection today...... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is this place really worth your time and effort? You'll spend all the time it takes covering your arse and producing an informative report knowing full well nothing will be rectified. I think personally you should get the person ordering the works to take a reality check and explain if they're not prepared to open their wallet and correct the remedials then you're not interested it wasting your time:thumbsup

Is this place really worth your time and effort? You'll spend all the time it takes covering your arse and producing an informative report knowing full well nothing will be rectified. I think personally you should get the person ordering the works to take a reality check and explain if they're not prepared to open their wallet and correct the remedials then you're not interested it wasting your time:thumbsup
On the other hand he could bowl up for the EICR, tell it like it is and score a shedload of cash for putting all that nonsense right.
In the real world however, it aint gonna happen really is it?

On the other hand he could bowl up for the EICR, tell it like it is and score a shedload of cash for putting all that nonsense right.
In the real world however, it aint gonna happen really is it?

This is where the "Reality check" come ino play, just a few words will quickly assess the intentions of the client. Who knows, it could be a new owner that has just been passed on information and has a kitty to tuck into to make sure everything is in "Ship" shape lol As mentioned though, very unlikely.

Question is, would you like to hear of that place burning to the floor or lives being lost and your name being associated to it? People won't get to know the part about you listing X amount of code 1's and 2's. It'll just be XYnZ electricals last worked on the electrics! NOT GOOD for business, I personally would rather walk away but that is my mentality. It's also the reason I'll probably never be rolling in money lol

Question is, would you like to hear of that place burning to the floor or lives being lost and your name being associated to it? People won't get to know the part about you listing X amount of code 1's and 2's. It'll just be XYnZ electricals last worked on the electrics! NOT GOOD for business, I personally would rather walk away but that is my mentality. It's also the reason I'll probably never be rolling in money lol
That's why before I do an EICR I get the clients written permission that if I find a code 1 I can
put it right. If I don't get that permission I don 't do the inspection

I have to agree with all the points about not wanting to pay for the corrective works etc and i must say that was my first thought when i saw the state of the place but the testing is just money for old rope (not a pun btw) we know the place is gonna major fail and most of it on cable size which i did not highlight in the photo's. My take is if they are prepared to pay for a correct test then who am i to judge, but also this got me thinking on the ÂŁ100k boats moored at said place, we all know the people that own these are a bit well to do so even at the worst case i get a chance of new customers. My boy is also at college so it would also be a great for him to see all the bodges you can find on a job you rarely find in one place. And get paid for it. :)

Last edited:
I'd ask to see the insurance companies letter of request, so you know exactly what your terms of reference are. My last PIR the insurers stipulsated the report had to be done within a certain period and all P1s and P2s had to be rectified

don't think the rectification side should make a blind bit of difference to the test, they can do with that as they will.
But i get your point if i'm asked to carry out these works, I think I would take a better interest in the request. However, the installation would have to be corrected to at least a standard I was happy with, knowing my door would be the first one knocked on if something happend.

Your being asked to carry out an Inspection and test of the installation Having seen the pictures Id make sure your TsnCs have something about isolating code1s untill rectified and that on conpletion a list of isolated items shell be handed to client along with quote to mkake these safe
if they dont agree to this on TnC id walk away as there will be no remedials just a sheet of papaer for insurance company to lose untill something happens

Surely, you have been requested to price, what is a PIR, not pricing for rectification work on any code 1's that you may find. I can understand if a code 1 fault was a simple fix, but not if it involved any major works to rectify. That could put them at the hands of a rouge electrician (which i'm not implying in any way that YOU are...lol)) that could take them to the cleaners, and still may not end-up with a safe installation...

If i was a client in this position, i would want to see the completed report along with any supporting referencing data. I would then have the choice of requesting the guy carrying out the report to undertake the remedial works or get quotations from a number of contractors or qualified electricians.

First conduct the EICR following the recognised standards that are attached to such an inspection, list and quote Reg numbers for all/any deviations you may find on the inspection, making recommendation points in the report section where you find code 1's or 2's with a covering letter confirming the seriousness of the remedial work needed to bring the installation to a safe state and to recognised minimal standards.

You can't be held responsible for the condition of any installation you carry out a EICR on. You are there purely to make an inspection and report on your findings. All this talk about you being the last guy on the site, is going to be held responsible is just pure rubbish. Having said that, you will need to be thorough in your inspection and in any documented report that you may furnish...

yes, E54. were thinking along the same lines there.
I did have a chat after taking the somewhat sparky p.o.r.n pics, he must have thought i was a japanese tourist.

It went along the lines of all major code1's would have to be isolated at the time of test but writen permission for this would be required prior to starting our inspection. I asked for a copy of their Health and safety policy so i could incorporate it into our method statement and enable me to do a risk assesment. He gave me a blank look.............And said, be carefull on the jetty as it may be slippery. Now this is a large working dry dock including dozens of moored boats so many large bits of kit moving about on cranes and the like. Again i was speachless.....
However, it is a job they are wanting like any other and the inspection is what it is, but don't anyone be fooled into thinking corners would be cut with regards to wording on the regulations and reg numbers i always quote on listing codes. I think it will go one way or the other when they are presented with the cert at the end. I know there will be alot of un-happy people that will no longer have power which will be labelled unsafe for use. All my PIR's (now EICR) have photo's of every item included as last page (NIC inspector loves this).

If this job does get the green light i will start a new thread to follow the daily findings as i'm sure i may need a few pointers on a some things. We all get stumped now and again and i'm sure another sparks will be seeing my report so it has to be correct.

If the place has a PE licence, copies of your photos should be forwarded to the licensing board and fire brigade.
The place deserves to be shut down.

Part of the problem is you can issue a EICR (PIR) with loads of code 1s, the customer doesn't do anything about them even though you've spent 45 minutes explaining how dangerous it is.
The customer just tells the insurance company "Yeah we've got the 5 yearly safety certificate" the insurance company doesn't look or know what to look at and nothing ever gets done :angry_smile:

This is probably what they'll do and say "you said it was OK", and then never pay!!!

WALK AWAY....

Part of the problem is you can issue a EICR (PIR) with loads of code 1s, the customer doesn't do anything about them even though you've spent 45 minutes explaining how dangerous it is.
The customer just tells the insurance company "Yeah we've got the 5 yearly safety certificate" the insurance company doesn't look or know what to look at and nothing ever gets done :angry_smile:

This is probably what they'll do and say "you said it was OK", and then never pay!!!

WALK AWAY....

I doubt that very much!! Not paying for the EICR would end up opening a very large can of worms for the said party, if his intentions were to lie to the insurance company!!!
And if proved that this had been the case on previous PIR's that had been completed on this installation, the guilty party responsible could actually find himself with a rather large fine and a term in prison.

No, the best way to go, is to do a thorough inspection and testing procedure, as already mentioned complete with covering letter and photo's. Only a complete fool wouldn't pay for the service when there are photo's and signed copies of the completed EICR, that could find there way to just about anywhere that could do him damage!! lol!!

This is paying WORK which is in short supply at the moment from what i can make of it. You can't walk away from this amount of work on ill founded suppositions and maybe's...

If the place has a PE licence, copies of your photos should be forwarded to the licensing board and fire brigade.
The place deserves to be shut down.
Shocking really, i was looking for a fire alarm...Didn't see one though. They said a visit by fire office had been done and waiting for recommendations.
Hope he didn't go to the toilet......:behead:

All my PIR's (now EICR) have photo's of every item included as last page (NIC inspector loves this).

Now that's a good idea, and I'd like to use it where appropriate if that's OK with you? I will of course credit you when I do "The idea of using pictures with this report came from a bloke on the internet."

Now that's a good idea, and I'd like to use it where appropriate if that's OK with you? I will of course credit you when I do "The idea of using pictures with this report came from a bloke on the internet."

I started doing it when i did landlords work as it helps with the terminology we have to use but its also handy for looking back as a reference if you forget to make a note of something.

I think the main question is how did it all go when you did all the tests?

Send a copy of the certificate and pictures to building control and let them deal with it, also send them to HSE, they will have something to say for sure.

Also send a copy to the licencing authority in your local council, they will remove their Premises licence and that will stop the risk to some of the public for sure - no license - no parties!

Reply to Went to quote an Inspection today...... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net