Discuss What 18v drill to go for in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Apart from drilling lots of large holes in steel such as 50mm as you have already said, when the max stated drilling capacity for steel for your drill model is 13mm. Which is probably what's burnt it out.

saying that i drill 2" holes all day with my makita bhp451 and its fine. says 13m steel as well.

the thing to look at is the torque as well. 70+ is very good (nm)

if you decide to go for makita fastfix.co.uk always have offers on

here...this`l do him....

power-devil-18v-hammer-drill.jpg

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    23.2 KB · Views: 89
Hi
The apprentice has a Milwaukee 18v and only lasted 11 months. I have a makita which in fairness has been good but I think the Bosch would be my First choice

Bosch currently have a nice and compact 18V out which has 4Ah batts. Watch the cheaper Bosch as many only have a 10mm chuck instead of 13mm. I would go Bosch then Makita. I am a bit of a groupie when it comes to Bosch gear.

Thanks everyone im going to start looking at the makita and the panasonic.

Engineer54 just to let you know i treat my tool with repected and find the milwakie ive got doesnt compare with other 18v drill ive used and owned in the same oruce band.

Well why have you not claimed on the 3 year warranty, if it's only just over a year old??

You wouldn't believe the abuse the Milwaukee hand power tools get on this site and the repair brakedown ratio is to say the least minimal, to what i've seen on some of the other past projects i've been on....

The other brand to consider of course is HILTI, there tools are tough and go on and on. Not cheap I accept, but my 24V drill is more than a decade old now and is as gutsy as ever.

may i offer an alternative to all the mainstream drills gentlemen,without question the best drill is the 22v hilti .i,ve had top end bosch and dewalt drills in the past but the hilti totally destroys them.due to this i,m slowly converting all my other drills etc to that make.trust me you cannot go wrong with them,plus the after sales service is 2nd to none.they aren't the cheapest but i can assure you its money well spent

i've had my makita drills for well over 8 years and still going strong. combi drill handles joists with ease, aswel as drilling holesaws in ceilings and floors. the impact drivers just as good, no problems with 4" screws at all :). original batteries still hold there charge very well. ive expanded my range to all the other 18v tools. prices for bodies are decent and the batteries aren't to expensive on ebay.

may i offer an alternative to all the mainstream drills gentlemen,without question the best drill is the 22v hilti .i,ve had top end bosch and dewalt drills in the past but the hilti totally destroys them.due to this i,m slowly converting all my other drills etc to that make.trust me you cannot go wrong with them,plus the after sales service is 2nd to none.they aren't the cheapest but i can assure you its money well spent
Hilti is good gear.....
i just dont like the idea of having to log on....and all that faff about sending it in to an approved centre for maintainance/repair (i like to repair stuff myself)...i mean...you try getting parts out of Hilti`s for self service.....they dont like it
another good one is Metabo
then theres Fein
and Spit
all good stuff...
look boys (and the odd girl).....you gets what you pays for in this game...be it boards, test gear, accessories or tooling....

up to you fella...but one thing i have found with hilti is that even if your drill did blow up.hey will never charge you more than 30% of the original cost of a new one.for example.i bought a brand new 36v te 7a hilti drill £740...after many years of battering it and i mean really battering it,it finally died on me.i took it to my local centre which conveniently is in cardiff :0) they sent it away,i had it back within 2days fully rebuilt.good as new.so i effectively now have a brand new drill for £150...in my eyes thats a good deal :0)

up to you fella...but one thing i have found with hilti is that even if your drill did blow up.hey will never charge you more than 30% of the original cost of a new one.for example.i bought a brand new 36v te 7a hilti drill £740...after many years of battering it and i mean really battering it,it finally died on me.i took it to my local centre which conveniently is in cardiff :0) they sent it away,i had it back within 2days fully rebuilt.good as new.so i effectively now have a brand new drill for £150...in my eyes thats a good deal :0)
yeah....caus they`v got you hooked!!.....made more than enough out of you already with servicing costs etc....lol...

Reply to What 18v drill to go for in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net