Discuss What do I need for commercial? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rocker

Yea yea yea, I hate all these posts that go "what exams do I need to prove i know how 'lecktrick works", but I seem to be banging my head against a brick wall here. Wonder if anyone can help....

What do you need qualifications/insurance/whatever-wise to work on, and be able to give certificates for, commercial installations? Would hate to think I'm limiting myself needlessly. What is:
-The bare minimum you need, and
-What else you should have?

Any help would be appreciated.

In all honesty, you dont NEED anything at all.

However, im not sure the client or their insurance company would be happy about it.

Did you notice the big smiley I put there?
That said I wouldn't be saying you don't need anything at all. When you're working on 3 phase you need to be switched on.
I guess what I'm trying to say is you need a very good underpinning knowledge.

Last edited:
competence and a way of backing it up if things go that word i can`t type up. the right insurance, some public liability s only cover for domestic just have a check before you start. if you can test properly and the right rnsurance and you work conforms to the regs your away. i know sparks out there that are still on their 14th edition with no 2391 and they work day to day on the commercial and industrial side of things.qualifications are all well and good but i know many who are so called more qualified than others and clueless. i would rather have a guy with the know how that does the job spot on for me than someone who is all on paper and nothing on tools

We all got regs coming from every where, can get fined 5k for not being on a scheme if working in a special location yet you just need the ........ to work in commercial!

can you really just read the bible and pray your executions are correct or would you at least be required to be under a supervisor?

there goes the crazy part p thing. i could if i wanted go and undertake the wiring of a swimming pool, but unless i inform BC or join a scheme i can`t even pop in my own shower. i could if i wanted go and wire up the db board for Heathrow but can`t wire up a twelve way board in my house without the fore-mentioned two. lights on a run way or an operating theatre but not a bathroom? the things so stupid when you look at it that way.

That's pretty crazy! So basically what you're saying is that I can get my insurance sorted and if I have the know-how I can go back to working in commercial but on my own, not for a firm? Would need to refresh the old grey matter on a few things but to be honest all I'm talking about, at the moment at least, are fairly minor works in shops, cafes etc. There's technically no qualification or equivalent of part p to work in shops? Crazy!

ive read somewhere that part p does apply to shops, if there is a flat above or behind! i can't remember where i read it and im not 100% by a long shot, but its worth thinking about.

If the supply is shared with a domestic dwelling then Part P applies to everything that is connected to it - including the shop IIRC

So lets get this straight if I do work in business premises I don't need qualifications in electrical works but " a level of competance" but for domestic I have to be qualified to the hilt bit of a smack in the face for the time served boys don't you think. What about registration and certification hows that work then?

So heres an inevitabe question - what do we do certificate-wise? Is a BS7671 ok? I thought they were only for domestic. Or is the only paperwork the invoice on commercial??

Certs are needed regardless of Domestic/Commercial/Industrial. Part P stuff applies to Domestic in England and Wales. Certs from BS7671 are fine, just change from the Domestic versions to the others.

There is no "Domestic version" of any certificate/report in BS7671.
Not sure where easycert gets the forms from then, I have Domestic Installation Cerificate, Domestic PIR Certs and then also have EIC and PIR for commercial/industrial.

My BRB and other books are already packed for my move home, so not able to check them out. I know one of them has model forms in them, and those for Domestic are different to the rest.

Reply to What do I need for commercial? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net