Discuss What is this?what is this. I marked it with a red circle in the pictures. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
IMG_20221218_212000.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221218_212020.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 27
Next time I'd phone the supplier to come and fix their meter, if a cable Is loose or coming out its a serious fire risk and requires professional attention.

A call to your energy supplier because you knocked the lid off the meter with the broom would be a good place to start.

one cable came out several times and I tried to tighten it. what is going to happen now
Probably nothing, or else they might send someone round to check against electricity theft.

That cable is a very dangerous thing to be messing with, there is no isolation available at that point, and a misplaced screwdriver can lead to a large arc and serious risk of burns.

To me, it still looks like there’s a transparent shield over the connections and a seal still in place… although I might be wrong. I don’t open meters to be that familiar with them.

Also, is that a smart meter that informs the DNO, or just a digital display

The question is, did you have to cut a seal to get the cover off? As that will be deemed as tampering.

If you say it was loose, sparking, etc… say you were worried it would start a fire and couldn’t wait for an engineer.
They might just give you a warning.

Ok, it’s an older smart meter, but why does the OP have another sealed cover below the main cover? A bit pointless if the screws are exposed without outer cover.

the question is should I call them or wait for them to call me.

How sure are you that the wires are secure and safe? How did you realise that the connections were in doubt? Did you tighten the wires up yourself?

Any doubt then contact the supplier, but as above tell then you knocked the cover off accidentally. Don't tell then you removed it.

Ok, it’s an older smart meter, but why does the OP have another sealed cover below the main cover? A bit pointless if the screws are exposed without outer cover.

It probably designed so the supply can be safely tested, but doesn't explain why there's provision for a seal on the inner cover.

It probably designed so the supply can be safely tested, but doesn't explain why there's provision for a seal on the inner cover.

As far as I know the inner seal is factory fitted to protect the calibration of the meter.
Old style dial meters also had a sealed screw behind the terminal cover preventing access to the inner workings.

One of the cables came out? Really?
I've also had this once, new barn conversion, new electric supply and smart meter. I was tidying up and the hand brush I was using knocked the outgoing live tail and it fell out of the meter! It had only been connected 20 minutes... I did call the energy supplier who sent the meter fitting company back. the lack of screw marks on the copper suggested the screws were never tightened.

Reply to What is this?what is this. I marked it with a red circle in the pictures. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net