Discuss What on earth is this?!? And where did it come from?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I completed a CU change on Friday, (It was a bitch btw) and once I was done, when I turned the power back on, switched the pendant on above my head in the hallway and heard a crackling sound coming from the pendant.
I switched the power back off and took the lamp out, to see that it was smoking because there was a strange grease like substance that had been dripping down the flex of the pendant and into the lamp holder, shorting across the pins of the lamp.
I unscrewed the pendant and found what is in the picture I have attached.
Confused, I took up the floorboards above the fitting upstairs, expecting to find some sort of decomposing animal, but found absolutely nothing, totally dry, nothing out of the ordinary.
The property has been rewired as recently as the ‘new colours’ and after stripping the cables back in the fitting a little way, found them to be fine and no sign of any grease or moisture.
Along with having no idea where the hell this grease like stuff could have come from, even if it was sitting in the pendant screw cap like it is, how did it manage to find its way down the flex to such excess, that it’s flooded the lamp holder enough to short the lamp out ?
It’s not like the fitting has been in an incredibly greasy kitchen for years, it’s in the damn hallway!
Look forward to any theories ?
E4DDD2BF-0535-4C47-A631-54B4B2B6B538.jpeg

how did it manage to find its way down the flex to such excess, that it’s flooded the lamp holder enough to short the lamp out

very interesting (if you're a maintenance guy like me)

after some of the "horror stories" i've seen (if it's a busy household, or business) i never assume anything..

(was just restoring a fridge and its seals, found a dead wasp in the main chill compartment, since i work fast and had the fridge door open less than a minute at a time, I'm thinking this wasp must have ninja-stealth skills) ?

anyway, I wonder if moisture has reacted (in this case) with some kind of material left in the plastic lamp fitting? coz you're (logically) assuming its water running in from somewhere, but there's no evidence of this... if the inner area (of the flooring) is completely dry above fitting, then (logically) only a temporary leak (or condensation) occurred.

if you're sure the area above fitting is completely free of a leak, i would count my blessings and put it down to condensation causing a reaction in the "bowl-like" fitting... condensation can form in surprising ways, even in what appear to be "dry places" (say if there's a kitchen or bathroom nearby).

just an old-timers assessment.

regards nb.

It’s absolutely bizarre! Would love to know how it got there, it was a really greasy substance, and as you can see if you look closely in the picture, there is some really strange crystallisation in the substance.
But what also beats me, is that even if it was just sat in the pendant cup, it’s clearly not deep enough to be over flowing down the hole the flex is in to seep into the lamp holder and short out the lamp ?

I’m putting my money on full fat coke, or gravy??

ah…. Checking the photo, it’s in a kitchen.
Has there been a cooking incident that’s caused a blast of ingredients hit the ceiling?
been decorated since, but no one emptied the pendant??

it’s clearly not deep enough to be over flowing down the hole the flex is in to seep into the lamp holder and short out the lamp

thats why I'm going for condensation causing a reaction with something left in the "bowl" ?

if there's enough condensation to form actual droplets, then a short can occur.

... it looks like very old chip fat grease to me.. i dont want to say whoever worked on this last did this "on purpose", but if there's no kitchen above the fitting, the only logical answer is someone working on the socket left the substance in the bowl... (it all depends on the history of work at the premises)... I've seen jobs where you're thinking... hmm... maybe they didnt get on?

(i dont think pros would do this kind of thing.. but it can get tense if you have a very unhelpful owner who may be an expert in cat-grooming, but hasn't been near screw-drivers in 20 years)... ?

i suppose, if you were keen enough, you could have substance analyzed... but yeh, if there's no leak, i'd ask owner about condensation issues they may be having.

regards, nb.

I’m putting my money on full fat coke, or gravy??

ah…. Checking the photo, it’s in a kitchen.
Has there been a cooking incident that’s caused a blast of ingredients hit the ceiling?
been decorated since, but no one emptied the pendant??
Took the photo in the kitchen, misleading sorry, I did mention in the original post it was in the hall way.

Could it be a drug dealers hidey place?

i've seen all sorts on maintenance jobs.... ? it's unbelievable what some people get up to- but that's usually in busy places like restaurants and bars. i think this is a domestic job...

in theory it could be someone who needed to hide ... "substances" in a hurry.

like another contributor mentioned, what does this substance smell like? it's pretty easy to identify old chip oil (that's what it looks like to me).... but yeh- on a maintenance job "anything can happen" ?

regards nb

thats why I'm going for condensation causing a reaction with something left in the "bowl" ?

if there's enough condensation to form actual droplets, then a short can occur.

... it looks like very old chip fat grease to me.. i dont want to say whoever worked on this last did this "on purpose", but if there's no kitchen above the fitting, the only logical answer is someone working on the socket left the substance in the bowl... (it all depends on the history of work at the premises)... I've seen jobs where you're thinking... hmm... maybe they didnt get on?

(i dont think pros would do this kind of thing.. but it can get tense if you have a very unhelpful owner who may be an expert in cat-grooming, but hasn't been near screw-drivers in 20 years)... ?

i suppose, if you were keen enough, you could have substance analyzed... but yeh, if there's no leak, i'd ask owner about condensation issues they may be having.

regards, nb.
It was just your every day council house property, no signs of it being used as a kebab factory ? Like I mentioned, it had been rewired since the new colours and the install was fine. Better than average if anything, and as far as council houses go, this was one of the cleanest and most well looked after I have come across.
The substance didn’t really smell of anything, certainly not like your usual cooking grease fat smell.

It was just your every day council house property, no signs of it being used as a kebab factory ? Like I mentioned, it had been rewired since the new colours and the install was fine. Better than average if anything, and as far as council houses go, this was one of the cleanest and most well looked after I have come across.
The substance didn’t really smell of anything, certainly not like your usual cooking grease fat smell.

hmm... sounds like a vacated property... without knowing "tenant history" it's a steep hill to climb. we're left with two logical conclusions:

a: the electricians "sabotaged" that fitting (highly unlikely)

b: someone else at the property decided to unscrew lamp fitting, detach it completely, boil up (or scoop up) a substance of unknown origin and refit the lamp bowl (but ask yourself why they would do this)?

i wont speculate on open forum, (from experience) proving what really happened will be difficult if the property has been vacant a long time...

i'm beginning to suspect black magic or gremlins, personally ?

regards, nb

Kind of amused that literally nobody on here has any idea in regards to what it could be, because this is the place for answers to literally anything.. But at the same time, it’s going to bug me indefinitely because like literally WTF and HTW.. Anyway, I’m going to put it down to a lesser spotted pendant bowl smack head sparky, who while maintaining a steady job as an electrician, takes any opportunity he can to disconnect, cook up in a pendant, then have the coordination after to reconnect and screw back up ?

Reply to What on earth is this?!? And where did it come from?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net