Discuss What other qualifications should i take? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

manx1641

Hi i'm new to the forum and have been doing a bit of reading, and have some questions to ask.

I'm currently working as a maintenance electrician for a car firm, due to the unforeseeable future i'm looking to become qualified to work for myself as a domestic installer or at least work for a firm as an electrician.

I'm wondering what qualifications are recommended,

I have an hnc in engineering which included electrical wiring and measurement,
also city and guilds 2380/01 level 3 pass for the multiple choice test, (is there a seperate practical test)
and a little over a year ago i passed c&g 2391

I'm wondering if i would need to take a practical assessment to be able to do the type of work i'm looking for,

I do a lot of installation and repair work at the moment but the company i work for is very reluctant to give training to the latest standards unless it is mandatory. i taught myself the 2391 theory and sat the test, i had passed the practical side a while back.

i'm currently trying to piece together my qualifications in readiness to start work,

i've looked in to the approved contractor schemes and looked at the nessecary requirements to become jib certified, some of it can be really daunting, any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

With the qualifications you already have mate,you have no problem getting a job as a spark,but if it's domestic you want to do take a look at this link,hope it is of some help.Welcome to the forum as well mate:D
Part P to Building Regulations - The IET

Thanks thats good to here, i've just bought a guide to the part p so have some reading to do when i'm working nights, my brothers an architect so likes to make sure i follow the rules,

i think the thing that worries me is being able to find enough work if i started out on my own, as well as making sure i comply to the regulations, as far as notifying the appropriate authorities, doing the work isn't really a major concern, although i'm sure i will have loads of questions,

i have a lot of tools that i use in the job i have now, but probably not everything i would need to jump in to a rewire, what tools do you guy have that you couldn't do with out?

i have thought about applying to electrical contractors to gain some practical experience first, but really would like to be my own boss, and keep my own hours.

Thanks again Martin.

Thanks thats good to here, i've just bought a guide to the part p so have some reading to do when i'm working nights, my brothers an architect so likes to make sure i follow the rules,

i think the thing that worries me is being able to find enough work if i started out on my own, as well as making sure i comply to the regulations, as far as notifying the appropriate authorities, doing the work isn't really a major concern, although i'm sure i will have loads of questions,

i have a lot of tools that i use in the job i have now, but probably not everything i would need to jump in to a rewire, what tools do you guy have that you couldn't do with out?

i have thought about applying to electrical contractors to gain some practical experience first, but really would like to be my own boss, and keep my own hours.

Thanks again Martin.
You already have your 239-10,you may need to to do the update to the 17th.But you have the certs to inspect and test your own work,but if you get in with the LABC,sometimes you can show them the certs you have, and pay a small fee on domestic properties or they come out and do the rest,costing a small fortune.

LABC? thats the local building inspector, right?

I looked into the 17th edition recently and was advised to do the refresher, i tried a couple of the local colleges but none of them were running the course due to lack of interest, i'll try again, i've got a little while whilst i get some money together and sort out a vehicle more suitable for work.

with the hours i work at the moment i get 4-5 days off at a time so i'm thinking of getting something going in the down time.

Reply to What other qualifications should i take? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net