Discuss What to do with chasings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty rough, tbh. I can only assume that the installer assumed he was being followed by the plasterer. As others have said, you're kind of stuck with it now but a decent tradesmen plasterer or decorater should be able to tackle it without too much hassle.

Seems to be the case, but he must have been expecting quite a depth of plaster to cover that cable cutting across from ceiling to wall.

looks like he's ran the cables up then used hardwall to fix them in position. If he'd cut a bit deeper on the chases, laid the cables flat and clipped them in position, they wouldn't be sticking out like that.

A decent plasterer would have refused to do that job untill the cables were clipped in the chase flatter or deeper.

Looks like he's trying to hold the cables to the wall with plaster, probably because the chases aren't deep enough to have cable clips in.

Scraping the base coat away to give some depth for the finish would be the normal fix but I suspect you'll just expose more of the cable.
I doubt that plaster has bonded to the wall very well at all, it's probably being held in by the cables.

There doesn't have to be any regs broken, you've paid for a rewire and paid extra for plastering.
Both jobs are shoddy and incomplete.

All the plaster in the chase needs breaking out, it won't be too difficult, then the cables need fixing back allowing enough clearance for new base and finish plaster level with the old plasterwork

A decent plasterer would have refused to do that job untill the cables were clipped in the chase flatter or deeper.

Looks like he's trying to hold the cables to the wall with plaster, probably because the chases aren't deep enough to have cable clips in.

Scraping the base coat away to give some depth for the finish would be the normal fix but I suspect you'll just expose more of the cable.
I doubt that plaster has bonded to the wall very well at all, it's probably being held in by the cables.

There doesn't have to be any regs broken, you've paid for a rewire and paid extra for plastering.
Both jobs are shoddy and incomplete.

All the plaster in the chase needs breaking out, it won't be too difficult, then the cables need fixing back allowing enough clearance for new base and finish plaster level with the old plasterwork
Can I take it no regs were broken? PVC cables are normally required to be "protected against harmful substances in concrete or plaster". Does BS7671 not have something similar to this reg?

I'm not aware of plaster or cement being harmful to modern PVC cables, even lime plaster has been shown to not have any effect on it. The use of capping or oval trunking is for mechanical protection form the plasterers trowel.

I'm not aware of plaster or cement being harmful to modern PVC cables, even lime plaster has been shown to not have any effect on it. The use of capping or oval trunking is for mechanical protection form the plasterers trowel.
That is Interesting. Would you have any references for that.?Is there any comment/notes in the UK regs about that? . I have also never seen any damage to pvc from plaster or cement myself up until very recently. Towards the end of the boom years here there was a huge demand for concrete. Suppliers would drop it off early morning, heavily laced with a retarding agent to slow hardening. This was unfortunately acid based. Its now coming home to roost causing all sorts of problems for pvc cables that came in contact with it

In the 60's it was High Alumina Cement that caused the problems corroding reinforcement, the collapse of the swimming pool roof at "The Sir John Cass Foundation" was the beginning of it being banned in the UK.

In the 60's it was High Alumina Cement that caused the problems corroding reinforcement, the collapse of the swimming pool roof at "The Sir John Cass Foundation" was the beginning of it being banned in the UK.
Interesting. My curiosity is aroused because the UK and ROI regs are so similar in many ways that I just naturally assumed you would not be allowed to plaster over pvc directly. I have no issue with it as clearly in the UK you nowadays don't experience any problems doing it (though it I, m not sure I would adopt the practice). But I wondered what your or if your regs had something specific to say on the matter?

Reply to What to do with chasings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net