Discuss What to look for in an apprentice? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

We are looking for an apprentice, they will have started in September, so will have a little knowledge.
Obviously someone keen and willing.
But what else would you look for?
It’s in a factory.
Thanks.

A fit, very keen, retired person who doesn't worry about the money much, will always turn up, has own transport and isn't constantly looking for time off to look after the kids, seldom takes holidays and what have you got to lose?

A fit, very keen, retired person who doesn't worry about the money much, will always turn up, has own transport and isn't constantly looking for time off to look after the kids, seldom takes holidays and what have you got to lose?
Missed the bit about not being a pisz head....... counts you out then.

Well I guess that's a fair point SWD, but in my defence I work 5 days a week from 9 to 5, on a voluntary basis, and haven't missed a day in 7 months, apart from my holidays, which, frankly I feel I have earned...oh, and apart from 2 days when a very kind member on here offered me the chance to work with him, which was very enjoyable, and instructive...and he started at 8am...LOL! I do like a wee glass or two, but never to the detriment of my work..
and Manchester's too far away!

Well I guess that's a fair point SWD, but in my defence I work 5 days a week from 9 to 5, on a voluntary basis, and haven't missed a day in 7 months, apart from my holidays, which, frankly I feel I have earned...oh, and apart from 2 days when a very kind member on here offered me the chance to work with him, which was very enjoyable, and instructive...and he started at 8am...LOL! I do like a wee glass or two, but never to the detriment of my work..
and Manchester's too far away!
If you work for nothing then I will pay your petrol and ply you with a decent rum and you can do some decorating for me..........

I don't recruit apprentice sparks but have recruited trainees for technical work. One I look for is what they do for fun that's related to the work? The hobby activity that got people into electrics in the past is mostly illegal now, but even wiring big speakers into a car (say) demonstrates a bit of interest and aptitude. If they're interested in electrics, they'll be doing something with it already.

And SWDs right, cakes, car washing and knowing how to be quiet when you have a hangover are essential skills.:birthdaycake::car::speaknoevil:

Someone who actually listens, turns up on time and isn’t afraid to graft
Oh and don't forget the one when you have a hangover and the little sod sits in the office chair spinning around like they are at the funfair.......... as he gets on toolbox clean up duties.

I don't recruit apprentice sparks but have recruited trainees for technical work. One I look for is what they do for fun that's related to the work? The hobby activity that got people into electrics in the past is mostly illegal now, but even wiring big speakers into a car (say) demonstrates a bit of interest and aptitude. If they're interested in electrics, they'll be doing something with it already.

And SWDs right, cakes, car washing and knowing how to be quiet when you have a hangover are essential skills.:birthdaycake::car::speaknoevil:

Very true, close to 50 years ago I dismantled my older brothers brand new record player which he was very proud of , unfortunately putting it back together proved a bit too much for me at the age of 5. :D

Decorating, SWD? No thanks! I hate it!
However, I can do some good raggling (chasing) and making good after, but final finish? No!
However, if you pay my petrol...Glasgow to London...you might find that a bit expensive?

Very true, close to 50 years ago I dismantled my older brothers brand new record player which he was very proud of , unfortunately putting it back together proved a bit too much for me at the age of 5. :D
:D:D:D
Must be the age, I was 5 when I thought it would be interesting to strip the element out of my mum's electric blanket. Never did work out how to put it back.

Decorating, SWD? No thanks! I hate it!
However, I can do some good raggling (chasing) and making good after, but final finish? No!
However, if you pay my petrol...Glasgow to London...you might find that a bit expensive?
Deal, do you have ladders or do I need to supply them?

Screenshot 2018-11-15 at 21.25.00.jpg

Reply to What to look for in an apprentice? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net