Discuss What to PAT test in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In the case of a class I or class II appliance the body of the appliance woulld need to have exposed metal parts for an insulation test to be carried out.
Might be wrong but I think the minimum IR for a class I is 2 megohms and 7 megohms for a class II.

So you are going to put the probe on an all insulated plastic case ???:confused::confused::confused:

I'm with you on this one wirepuller. If the plastic case has exposed screwheads that go into the body of the appliance then you may be able to connect these to the earth probe but if the appliance is totally plastic with no exposed conductive parts at all then you can't do the test. And, unless the casing is cracked or chipped in some way, which you would pick up on a visual inspection, then no exposed conductive parts should mean no risk of electric shock.

Last edited by a moderator:
You cant test items like phone chargers and phone cradles....there is nothing to test as they are class 2 with no exposed metal parts.....a visual inspection only is appropriate.

Am I the only one with 2377 around here? Phone chargers are class III and you can only do an insulation test at 250v but even then I wouldn't, chance of damaging the electronic transformer. I'd just inspect it, then function test and pass it.

Am I the only one with 2377 around here? Phone chargers are class III and you can only do an insulation test at 250v but even then I wouldn't, chance of damaging the electronic transformer. I'd just inspect it, then function test and pass it.

If a phone charger plugs into a 230V mains supply then it cannot be class III.
It would be the equipment that connects to the charger itself that is class III.

Personally I wouldnt bother tessting anything that runs on <12V, because even if it was broken would not offer risk of electric shock.
It would be like condeming a 9V battery for having exposed conductors :D

As xraytek states phone chargers are class II.....have a look at yours and you will see the small square within a larger square symbol which denotes a double insulated class II appliance.

I always test AC/DC adaptors such as mobile phone chargers.

I never test the appliance at the other end if it is just a battery powered appliance for two reasons,

its going to be SELV (less that 50V, and usually 5-12 volts) so its safe as far as an electric shock hazard is concerned, and secondly it is going to contain very sensitive micro-electronics.

With regards to testing the adaptor itself, the most important thing in my mind is the visual, you still have 230V going into the adaptor so if the case is cracked, or the case cover is missing, there is a huge risk there.

The other test i would do is the Insualation Resistance test.

I always label the phone charger, but never the appliance attached to it. Thats just penny pinching :(

Whether phone chargers are class 2 or three doing a 250V test will do no damage ( unles the transformer could be 110V). I PAT test for charity shops at £1.00 an item ( that is for charity organisation and the items are sold to the public, I also repair if possible but throw most repairable items away). We get many phones at the various shops and it is just the charger that is tested and operational test, does the phone charge.. Same with PS2 and the lkes that come in. Test the lead for insulation and full operational test of the PS2. It depends on how thorough you wantto be and how quickly you want to earn money, and how thoroughly you understand the practicalities of electrical appliances

Reply to What to PAT test in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net