Discuss What would you do ????????? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Liam12

Hi guys in abit of a predicament and thought I'd ask for opinions, I recently completed my apprenticeship and have known for a few years now that I have been underpaid every week, I think over 2 out of the 3 years It has worked out to be around £4000. I have Every pay slip and have had an accountant work out how much is owed. I feel like abit of a **** just rocking up and saying you owe me this because I'm just a quiet guy who enjoys my profession and keeps my head down and gets on with it but I feel I've been taken for a ride, shall I go and speak to him ?, shall I just leave it and let him do the same to the next guy through the door, for me it's not about the money because its money I never had but realistically I earnt it, would appreciate some advice. Cheers

bottom line here Liam is simply how much longer do you see yourself as working for him? I figure it's unlikely to go well, so you have to make a judgement call between JOB + (JOB-OWED) and NOJOB+OWED. If you're already looking around, then it might not be a big deal for you.

Yeah I am no longer working for him, left a few weeks ago and subbying to another firm, it's more the principal to me really

how where you short changed,hourly rate,other deductions,if you dont work for him anymore youve nothing to lose but 4k to gain,stand up and get what you have worked for,you need to toughen up im afraid more so if your going alone in the contracting game...

did you sign a contract and did you discuss future pay rises etc ?

( i would like to mention when i was a YTS apprentice for 3 years set at £29.50 -£35 per week back in 1988-91 i ended up wiring and managing the electrical installs on jobs worth over £30,000 and i got paid around a max of £4 till £8 per hour until i quit working for them at 21 years old, perhaps the company i worked for got me for cheap to do their work but at the end of the day they paid me to learn and by under paying me lost me when i went on my own)

Never looked back

I still see my old boss ans although i hate him, if he had not given me a job at the time then who knows where i would be now !!!

Quick edit, the £30,000 jobs were after i finished my C & G 236 and yes they dumped me on pub rewires and refurbs, including the fire alarms and electrics etc

Do the wage slips prove anything fraudulent or is it a dispute about hours worked?
If the former then it is a no brainier, go and seek legal advice. It's your money and possibly a solicitors letter might be all that's needed.

Liam, also don't forget that with most solicitors the first consultation is free, so he should be able to give you a professional opinion as to your chances of recovering the money.
good luck.

take the company to court and get your money but only if your very sure you are owed it very good you kept all your payslips don't let them walk all over you

i`v had tiffs with my employer from time to time....it generally goes down the route of: `could do with a wage rise` or `some more hours would be handy`...the usual stuff..
look, as has been said here already, the point of it all was to gain practical on site experience and learning to deal with situations and problems as they arise...and of course the way/s round em...if you now feel your ready to join industry as a contractor where the stakes can get really high...timeVmoney n all that lot with quality of install.....this is why i know that regardless of all the tiffs i have with my boss....its better to have less money and a regular job and practical teachings from the more experienced....money comes with time...

Reply to What would you do ????????? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net