Currently reading:
Where do these parts go?

Discuss Where do these parts go? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

marvel71

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am thinking of replacing the old switches in my flat with some new ones. I unscrewed a double switch yesterday from the wall and then I also unscrewed the face of the switch. This is when 2 small metals parts fell and I have no idea how to put them back; first of all I don't know where exactly they go (see the photos attached). Can anyone help?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-18 at 18.26.31 (3).jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-18 at 18.26.31 (2).jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-18 at 18.26.31 (1).jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-18 at 18.26.31.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 9
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-18 at 18.26.30.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 9
You need some new switches as we cannot tell you how to reassemble them. Why did you take them apart?

You need some new switches as we cannot tell you how to reassemble them. Why did you take them apart?
I was checking if I can only replace the faces of them instead of the whole switch. That would save me the trouble of disconnecting and reconnecting the cables.

Yeah, as per westward, replace it because there's usually other small pieces like a spring as well as those brass contacts you've shown and they're not going to go back together. They're not meant to be dismantled and reassembled.

I was checking if I can only replace the faces of them instead of the whole switch. That would save me the trouble of disconnecting and reconnecting the cables.
That switch is an 'all in one' monoblock type construction, it's not like some switches where you get a separate fascia plate and grid frame and you can fit a variety of switch modules into it and fit different styles of fascia plates to the front.

I have no idea how to put them back; Can anyone help?
Get an electrician in, the parts which have fallen out means the switch has now deteriated, only new will be acceptable, time to get your hand in your pocket

Get an electrician in, the parts which have fallen out means the switch has now deteriated, only new will be acceptable, time to get your hand in your pocket
Yeh… about 3 quid for a new switch…

But I think there’s too many wires there for you to attempt to change it yourself

Reply to Where do these parts go? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back