Discuss which automatic wire stripper is the best? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tim Brennan

Hi All,
I had to replace my old automatic wire stripper as I broke it. The replacement unbranded device is the same but it is rubbish. I'm looking at the C.K 495001 Automatic Wire Stripper as a replacement of the replacement.

C.K Automatic Wire Stripper - http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/c-k-automatic-wire-stripper/97204

Anyone had any experience of the CK tools version or can you recommend another brand?

Ck ones aren't great had 2 sets fail on me, haven't tried any other brands. They are a handy little tool when you've got a lot of stripping to do or sometimes getting into certain cables is easier with the stripper than snips.

You know what I reckon? with all these tools for stripping this and that, some one will start courses on cable stripping imagine, "what qualifications have you got the Son" well I'm Part P and cable stripping qualified.

You know what I reckon? with all these tools for stripping this and that, some one will start courses on cable stripping imagine, "what qualifications have you got the Son" well I'm Part P and cable stripping qualified.
I know what your saying Pete , but for testing at first fix it speeds it up five fold .But yes of course you should be able to strip manual

I've had a pair of the ck strippers must be over 10 years now and still going strong, never used them on t&e mainly flex or alarm cable, they've more than doubled in price, i think i paid 9 quid back then.

Have a set and they are well worth the money.

once set they will reliably strip very fine alarm cables right up to 6mm. They will strip the outer off 1.5mm flex and the outer off upro 2.5mm T&E all with no further adjustment.

They have taken a good hour of my time for wiring up a heating control panel and associated valves and switch gear, but I am notoriously slow; I prefer thorough.

Been using them heavily for a couple of months now and they're showing no signs of wear but at £20 a set they are paying for themselves on one job.

good addition to anyone's toolbox.

To be honest and whilst not wishing to knock wire strippers, never owned, used or wanted a pair, if they suit you all well and good, waste of money imo

Same here, I personally don't know any sparks who use or even own a set.

Don't know about the ones you linked, but my mate is on at least his fourth set of CK shears approx £20+Vat to my 1 cheap set which where only £8.50 plus Vat in the wholesalers.
His struggle to keep their edge long term and wouldn't get abused. I don't think CK are as good a brand as they were 20 years ago.

I didn't have a set for years, got some about a year ago and now I wouldn't be without them.

Mine are a set of £9 specials from wholesaler, no brand on them. I looked at them side by side with a set of ck ones an auto electrician friend of mine has and they look identical. I'd bet they were from the same factory.

Strips up to 4mm t&e, and can strip all 3 cores of a 3c&e in one go. Saved a load of time. I'd they break I won't cry at £9 Inc vat either.

These strippers are brilliant... strip T&E, flex, three core & E, just about anything very easily. I have 3 pairs because I could never be without one... There are other types that strip face on instead of sideways, but I've not used them.

I learnt to strip with a knife first.
Then snips and then using wire strippers. Been given a pair and I don't find the urge to use them other than for spots or pendants.
They're naff for use inside back boxes.
Better to have and not need than need and not have though.

I have a set that is now lying somewhere in one of the darkest corners of my shed. I just thought them cumbersome. I did not "get" the idea at all. Even if you are doing 1000 down-lights - What can the stripper do that my pliers or side cutters cant ? Even more importantly I rarely find myself swearing at my pliers or side cutters because I can't get into a cable to strip it at a certain angle ect......But that situation crops up with the strippers more often than is acceptable to me. Any thoughts on speed of process I would say that the pliers and the strippers are both the same with regards to how fast one could strip and terminate a cable.
I wish they were better than what went before as I love progress and technology and enjoy trying out new stuff to see if it improves my life lol ....Which at the end of the day is what it's all about.

Same here, I personally don't know any sparks who use or even own a set.

Don't know about the ones you linked, but my mate is on at least his fourth set of CK shears approx £20+Vat to my 1 cheap set which where only £8.50 plus Vat in the wholesalers.
His struggle to keep their edge long term and wouldn't get abused. I don't think CK are as good a brand as they were 20 years ago.
So True in my opinion! I purchased a pair of CK side cutters for electronics, around the 3rd time of use they broke on one of the snip blades, annoyed I called CK and the rude lady just said "that something we do not deal with, take them back to your seller and get another pair or a refund" hence my company will not be buying anymore CK tools, we are going with Knipex.

Reply to which automatic wire stripper is the best? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net